PDA

View Full Version : HELP just tried the new pc and $&#*@

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

karsc5
05-19-2003, 09:32 PM
I`m a newb and I just tried my pc out tonite and it looks like I introduced more scratches on the deck lid of my black vette. The steps I followed are:

1.Washed with Zaino z7 and 100% cotton hand towel.

2.Dried with 100% cotton hand towel.

3.Clayed with mothers bar and Meguiars quick detail spray. (Mothers bottle was empty)

4.Wiped down with 3M adhesive cleaner and 100% cotton towel.

5.masked off emblem and joints.

6.Applied 3m SMR with CMA yellow pad , PC set at 3.5.

7.Wiped down with alcohol/water mixture adn 100% cotton towel to inspect my work. Was not satisfied. Did not apply more SMR to pad but continued on with what was on the pad and worked it some more.

8.Wiped with A/W mixture again and also the 3M adhesive cleaner. not satisfied.

9.Applied Meguiar`s Medallion Prem paint cleaner and CMA yellow pad. PC set a 4.5.

10.wiped with A/W mixture.

11. Applied 3M SMR & Yellow pad and a little water. PC at 5.

12.wiped with A/W mixture and 3M adhesive cleaner.

13. clayed again

14.wiped with 3m cleaner.

15.Held the light up to the surface and seen long straight scratches again.

I planed on appling Zaino. will this remove these type scratches or should I retry the SMR again?

Thanks in advance

:nixweiss

imported_kgb
05-19-2003, 09:34 PM
I think you need to use speed 6 and work the product in until it is almost all gone.

Jngrbrdman
05-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Part of the problem is that SMR fills more than it actually removes. By claying and using cleaning products after polishing with SMR you actually just took out the fillers that were hiding the swirls. If you want your swirls gone then you need to go with something tougher on swirls than SMR. I would suggest DACP. Its a good polish for mild to moderate swirls and it won`t hide them.

Another problem is that you don`t need to keep claying. Using clay may introduce new scratches to your paint. Especially if the clay is already getting dirty. You should only need to clay once at the beginning and then go on to polishing. The order of things should be:

Wash

Clay

Paint Cleaner

Swirl removal

Swirl fillers

waxes/sealants

You obviously don`t want to wax and then clay and then do swirl filling and then paint cleaning or something like that. Your procedure is a little backwards for what you were trying to accomplish. No doubt your paint is super smooth right now though. I would recommend that you stop claying the car for now and just focus on swirl removal. Get some DACP and see how that works for you. If DACP doesn`t get rid of them all then follow that up with some #9 and possibly follow that up with the SMR. I`ve taken SMR out of my process since I started going DACP then #9 then PPCL. That seems to get rid of just about everything I was trying to get rid of. SMR never did much for me.

Degislek
05-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Also... I know some other may disagree with me but from my exp. I would use SMR with a white polishing pad. I have used SMR with a Cutting pad on a dark car and I got some swirls. Following up with a polishing pad removed them. Jngr is right you might want to try DACP or FI-II.

Poorboy
05-19-2003, 10:25 PM
I would have to agree with the Breadman....if these are straight lines, it wasn`t from the pc, it`s orbital, and probably came from the clay...are they in the same direction you clayed:nixweiss

karsc5
05-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Yes, Poorboy they are. If I am going to use Zaino`s don`t I have to remove the DACP, SMR, or #9 before applying?

Jngrbrdman
05-19-2003, 10:51 PM
DACP isn`t putting anything on your paint to remove. These are swirl removers and not waxes or glazes. Some of them may put down some fillers to hide the swirls but that shouldn`t be a problem. DACP doesn`t need to be removed any more than the car wash has to be removed. :p All you are doing is preping the surface.

If the scratches are in the direction you clayed then we have the source of the scratches. You need to get a new bar of clay because the one you are using is full. Either its full or you need to start folding it more often. Either way, when clay starts causing scratches like that in my paint I toss it. Time for some more. Get something to polish out the clay scratches and you should be fine. Don`t fill them though. Get something that will actually polish them out. FI-II or DACP would be my suggestion. DACP is twice as much $$ but there is also twice as much in the bottle. DACP seems to be a little easier to work with from my experience.

karsc5
05-19-2003, 10:57 PM
It looks like I am going to try some DACP. Thanks for the help. I will let you know how I make out.

chris0626
05-19-2003, 11:18 PM
karsc5, first let me say I admire your courage. I have been tempted to try the PC, but don`t want to go at it til I have some "mentoring" under the tutelage of a serious expert. (Which will happen just 5 weeks from now! :bounce )

Meanwhile ... have you checked around to see if any of the Guru Autopians live near you? You might be able to arrange some sort of barter with one of them.

AWDRATT
05-19-2003, 11:53 PM
Lynn,

To use the PC you really don`t need some mentoring, but since you will get some within 5 weeks, then i say, go for it. Nothing beats someone helping you out with something your really want to learn about. Good luck.

Post your experience after the tutor.

KgSolomon1
05-20-2003, 12:17 AM
I`m like Lynn and am not going to start using a PC or Buffer or anything until I actually see and learn from someone more experianced. Anyone near Milwaukee, WI that wants to help me, I always stock lots of MGD and corona`s :)

chris0626
05-20-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by lynxowner

To use the PC you really don`t need some mentoring, but since you will get some within 5 weeks, then i say, go for it. Nothing beats someone helping you out with something your really want to learn about. Good luck.

Post your experience after the tutor.

Somebody shout "BRADB"!!!!! and the St Louis Jag Club :bounce

And, yeah, count on it that I`ll give you a report! I`m marking the days ... just waiting til I can count the hours.

(Brad, does all this adulation get you embarassed??)

shaf
05-20-2003, 02:17 AM
Welcome to Autopia karsc5 and KgSolomon1. :welcome

Have fun Lynn, I just did my first large PC detail today and found the PC really quite easy to use as long as you stay mindful of some of the basic tips and guidelines. I spent most of the time just studying how strong it was with different pads and getting comfortable with it. :)

karsc5, try DACP with a polishing pad first, then move up to the cutting pad if that doesn`t work. Just be sure to work the product until it`s starting to dry and disappear - still wet DACP is hard to buff out.....

EDIT: After DACP you will probably want to go back to SMR or the paint cleanser (with a polishing pad) since your car is black.

chris0626
05-20-2003, 02:40 AM
What???? I am shocked -- I say SHOCKED!! You, the definitive Autopia man, are just using the dang-blasted thing??? But, lover of power tools that I am, I know that I`ll soon be checking out all the Autopia PC threads and especially the The Definitive Porter Cable Accessorizing Thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421) for all wisdom.

shaf
05-20-2003, 02:49 AM
Yeah, I admit it - I`ve only logged a couple hours total prior to today.... but hey, it was freakin` winter! :p

Besides, all the info I painstakingly gathered for the thread has almost NOTHING to do with actually using the PC.... just buying stuff for it! :D

If you want PC usage wisdom, I`d cite the ebook, DavidB`s video, and the two threads I linked in the Definitive thread. Geekysteve`s article is really great. :)