PDA

View Full Version : removing stains on cracked or porous trim

wizardofahs
05-19-2003, 03:46 AM
Does anyone have any solution for this? My trim is stained, and so far i`ve tried all the trim/tire dressing products i have and none of them work. I`ve also tried the 3M bug & tar remover, but with no luck (mine is the spray can though.. that might be why). I think the reason is because my trim is slightly sun damaged, and up close you can see all kinds of little cracks, it`s in there that the white stuff is. It looks really bad and nothing seems to work. Anyone have any ideas? I`ve heard about the eraser thing (where can you get those anyways?) But have no idea where i could even find one. My trim has looked bad for a while, i`d really like to clean it up. Maybe tomorrow i`ll try a hot soapy dawn solution with a toothbrush... that might be able to get in there.

CRXSi90
05-19-2003, 06:42 AM
I`m sure you have heard about the peanut butter/peanut oil trick...supposedly it draws the wax out...unless this method was disapproved while I was away. It seems to have worked for me, though.

shaf
05-20-2003, 12:46 AM
I have the very same problem all because I didn`t tape off my worn-out trim during last year`s detail. :rolleyes: I`ve partially fixed it by scrubbing with a toothbrush and Meguiar`s #39 (vinyl cleaner) but it`s still kinda spotty. A temporary fix is to brush on a thick coat of protectant, but it doesn`t last. Maybe try a tire cleaner? Mothers tire cleaner says it works on trim too but I haven`t tried it yet.

chris0626
05-20-2003, 01:16 AM
I`ve been playing around with this too. So far, the best solution I`ve found (and I don`t know if it will apply to your situation) is: Clean thoroughly with APC+ (about an 8:1 dilution), using a gentle scrub brush. Then .... I tried Mothers Back to Black on exterior trim and was well pleased with the results. But just this weekend, working on the unrestored `75 Jag, that didn`t quite work, so I tried the Megs APC+ 8:1, then applied Black Again with a foam paint brush. So far, it`s lookin` good.

Originally posted by Dr. Jones

I`ve heard about the eraser thing (where can you get those anyways?) But have no idea where i could even find one.

I`ve tried two products.

1. Mars-Staedtler (sp?) from an art/drafting supply store.

2. Just this weekend, at <gag!> WalMart, shopping for a soft/suede brush that I could use on interior vinyl, found a brush and eraser packaged in a kit in the shoe dept (near polishes and laces), and the dog-gone eraser actually does seem to help with those stains.

shaf
05-20-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

2. Just this weekend, at <gag!> WalMart, shopping for a soft/suede brush that I could use on interior vinyl, found a brush and eraser packaged in a kit in the shoe dept (near polishes and laces), and the dog-gone eraser actually does seem to help with those stains. Hey, I`ve seen those things - they`re suede or nubuck cleaning block..... thingys or something kind of like a porus eraser right? (I`m tired :p)

chris0626
05-20-2003, 02:46 AM
Yep, that`s exactly how it was labelled. (Lordy, talk about tired. . . . We gotta stop these all-night Autopia junkets.! .... or just thank God for insomnia. ;) )

LDPaul
05-20-2003, 06:24 AM
Some of us have to work all night and Autopia is our only way to sanity or is it insanity? I have to be on the phones all night talking to people who broke their computers.

Lowejackson
05-20-2003, 11:53 AM
If the trim is damaged, is it not worth considering replacing it?

Steven

JasonC8301
05-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Its made by Kiwi. The Suede and Nubuck renewer kit.

It has a small white nail brush, about half an inch by a inch and a half and a eraser block thingy.

I have a kit for my suede boots.....Never thought about using it for automotive detailing.....I`ll go get another one.

Jason