PDA

View Full Version : Tricks with non-clearcoated black

CRXSi90
05-18-2003, 09:28 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23283

Scottwax was telling about how he detailed a black lexus without a clearcoat. I happen to have a black hondaCRX without a clearcoat. What makes the care of these special? I like the non-clearcoat because I can see how effective I am at paint removal, and less paint comes off when you have your paint in good condition. So far, I`ve been working by hand with ScratchX but can see the possible need for something else, but so far, it has been pretty effective. I used it on both front fenders so far, and feel that they are in much better condition than they were before. I guess I`ll have to see in some better light, though, because I just did it this weekend. I also used Meguiars Gold Class/clear coat wax topped with S100 paste wax (just got this stuff and love it!) so it might look decievingly good.

Do non-clearcoated paints need more mild or less mild abrasives to get a job done, or at least looking good?

Thanks for any tips, tricks, and thoughts you can think of.

Kevin

shaf
05-18-2003, 11:52 PM
As far as I understand, you don`t have to treat them any different, but can be more aggressive sometimes because you don`t have to worry about clear coat.

CRXSi90
05-19-2003, 12:04 AM
thats good, because it looks like I have some work to do. http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2638mvc-550f.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2638mvc-546f.jpg

Scottwax
05-19-2003, 12:12 AM
The main thing with non clear coated paint is to remove all the oxidation before waxing or it will streak.

You can definitely get more aggressive with non clear coated paint to remove oxidiation and scratches and it also helps if you use a good glaze prior to waxing to add more oils to the paint so it doesn`t start fading again right away.

CRXSi90
05-19-2003, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the advice...is there any particular glaze you suggest? I can probably get 3m IHG and Meguiars Deep Crystal System "Polish" glaze pretty easily, but I`m open to other stuff, especially if I can get it locally. (I can probably get most Meguiars and 3m products and maybe mothers.) I`d like the product to also be useable on clearcoated vehicles as well.

Scottwax
05-19-2003, 12:23 AM
Go with the Meguairs Mirror Glaze line instead of the Deep Crystal consumer line. Try #9 Swirl Remover and #7 Show Car Glaze, then whatever wax you prefer. If you have any oxidation issues though, you may need to use #2 Fine Cut first.

CRXSi90
05-19-2003, 12:50 AM
Just out of curiosity, why #7 show car glaze instead of Deep Crystal polish? Is it less abrasive or just plain easier to use? (MDC polish: $4.99, #7: $8.99, according to their catalog)

Scottwax
05-19-2003, 12:57 AM
Why? Because the Mirror Glaze line is noticably better than the Deep Crystal line. There is a reason the products cost more and in this case, you definitely get what you pay for.

CRXSi90
05-19-2003, 01:08 AM
Good then, I have no problem with it when you get what you pay for!