PDA

View Full Version : Detailed wheel wells, traction issue?

94 NDTA
05-18-2003, 07:01 PM
I have heard of people using tire dressings in the wheel wells. I plan on completely doing my wheel wells soon, but am a little nervouse about getting tire dressing/protectant on my tires. My car does not have the best traction to begin with. Could someone recomend me a product that will dry and not possibley drip onto my tires, or at least a technique to prevent them from doing so. Thanks. I currently have 303, but thats a little pricey to be using on my wheel wells.

Brad B
05-18-2003, 07:23 PM
The best thing to use on wheel wells is something that makes it look very "black" and hides dirt and makes the "tones" look even. You want something that works for you and doesn`t necessitate that you completely scrub the wheel wells spotlessly clean.

Two products come to mind that are specifically made for this. Griots Undercarriage Spray does this but is not very cost effective (one of your criteria) and is really more of a concours type product.

The other product that I use on a weekly basis is Stoners Trim Shine. It`s an aerosol spray. It works great. Just spray on the wheel well liners. It will make them look black and clean, even if they are slightly dirty. It does not drip. You do not have to rub or polish it. One can will last you months.:up

realdinorf
05-18-2003, 07:31 PM
I cover my tires with plastic from the dry cleaners. Only use I`ve ever found for it.

Black Bird SC
05-18-2003, 08:19 PM
I`ve never seen Stoners Trim Shine. Where can I buy it at?

94 NDTA
05-18-2003, 08:27 PM
I`m pretty sure you can get it at CMA. If I do spray, the tires will probably be off anyways. Thanks.

ntwrkguy1
05-18-2003, 08:32 PM
The best (and cheapest) way to buy Stoner`s is direct from them. My contact at Stoner`s is Sue Burch.....her number is 800-227-5538 x3109. They sell direct, and the last time I bought a case of Trim Shine, it was $35/12 cans! Even better, they picked up the shipping, so for under $2.95 a can, I was all set. Trim Shine works really great on vinyl/rubber/plastic trim as well as the wheel wells.

hth,

DavidM

tkr128
05-19-2003, 03:19 AM
Here`s another vote for Stoner`s Trim Shine. I`ve been using it on my wheel wells and absolutely love it. I spray it on the wheel well itself and then use an old wax applicator to spread it around a little. Lasts for quite a while, except through rain and I`ve noticed no traction problems. I get it at my local auto parts store. :xyxthumbs

Robert O
06-04-2003, 11:11 PM
What about applying Meguiar High Endurance Gloss to the wheelwell? The wheelwell is currently the most lacking part of my setup.

DaGonz
06-05-2003, 12:10 AM
I take large trash bags (33 gallon size), make a slit in them and drape them over the wheel. I t keeps the the tires and wheels clean you are buffing, and allows you to apply protectants to the wheel wells without getting it on the tires.

2wheelsx2
06-05-2003, 12:30 AM
How about some of that No Touch spray. That`s what I think I`ll try next. Cover tires with garbage bags, and spray the foam on. Let dry, and voila!

shaf
06-05-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

How about some of that No Touch spray. That`s what I think I`ll try next. Cover tires with garbage bags, and spray the foam on. Let dry, and voila! I bought some No Touch for exactly that purpose, but haven`t been bright enough to think of using slit garbage bags to cover the tires. :p Wasn`t my idea though. There was a thread months back I think where some people used No Touch for this.

The only other thing I`d worry about is overspraying outside the wheel wells and getting it on the paint....

imported_Luster
06-05-2003, 07:54 AM
No Touch or Tire Foam are great for wheel wells. No matter what you use in the wheel wells, it`s going to get dirty (obviously)....

Foam type tire dressings work great and they are super-cheap. Dries in 10-15 minutes. I use it about every 2 weeks in wheel wells.

Robert O
06-05-2003, 07:19 PM
What about the gels!

imported_chr9s
06-05-2003, 08:27 PM
I assume Meg EK would also be good for this purpose?

Spilchy
06-05-2003, 08:27 PM
I scrub wheel wells with a hand brush and Simple Green. After it dries, I follow with cheap Armor All. I got a 3 pack for $7 at Costcos.