PDA

View Full Version : Quick, Easy, Efficient Detailing?

tguil
05-18-2003, 09:37 AM
I would like suggestions about the easiest, quickest and most efficient detailing techniques to use on my new black Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab pickup. It is one heck of a lot of black truck and I don’t want to spend tons of time with the detail job. I have ordered a Porter Cable Ultimate Detailing Machine and it’s accessory pack from CMA. I have used Mequiar’s products for 25 years and wish to continue using them. Prior to ordering the Porter Cable polisher I used a Waxmaster orbital buffer and had very good results with it. I both applied polish/wax and buffed the polish/wax with this machine. I used terry cloth pads.

I have to drive on 10 miles of gravel road every day. A detailing job doesn’t look all that great for very long. I wash my truck frequently and usually use a quick detailer after each wash. I have owned black vehicles exclusively since 1977 and am pretty good at making them "look good", but I really would appreciate some suggestions for using the Porter Cable machine. I am especially interested in the results that you can get using Mequiar’s new Medallion Premium Paint Protection and the polisher.

Redcar GUY
05-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by tguil

I have to drive on 10 miles of gravel road every day.

:nono Man with that you will be washing every day~! Sorry I am no help...

Patrick
05-18-2003, 11:25 AM
hmmmmmm............If your using Meg`s products exclusively, Im no help either.:welcome by the way.....

I think youll find many users, using many products here, you may eventually be swayed to try another product. Not to knock Meg`s, but there are other products out there yeilding different results:)

A detailing job doesn’t look all that great for very long.

hmm........Cause for concern......

Getting 3 months out of your detail ?

tguil
05-18-2003, 01:21 PM
I get more like 6-8 weeks out of a detail. My results are almost as good with Mequiar`s #6 cleaner wax as they are with one of the polishes and #26. #6 sure is a lot quicker. I`m almost tempted to switch from Mequiar`s to Zaino, but I tend to be fond of what a good canauba wax can do. Also I don`t want to spend days on a detail job. I hope the the Medallion Premium Paint Protection is as easy to use as #6 and that it will last longer. (Regardless of the praises Zaino receives, I still don`t believe that it can be that good.)

shaf
05-18-2003, 01:33 PM
Welcome tguil. :wavey

In the PC thread in my sig there are links to 2 very good PC tutorials that should help you figure out how to proceed.

I hope you have been or will incorporate a glaze like #7 into your routine. This usually helps black look noticably better.

sheltem
05-18-2003, 02:20 PM
If we were to incorporate a glaze like #7 it would mean that I cannot use a product sealant like SG or Autoglym Extra gloss protection right? :D

Douxebris
05-18-2003, 02:35 PM
The Megs Medallion certainly "repels" dust more than any carnuba I`ve used. So yes, I`d think it would be a good choice as your first attempt at perfection. But, like others have said, you _will_ have to wash your truck often, with these dusty conditions, to maintain the shine.

Jim B.
05-18-2003, 05:43 PM
Tradertt,

This weekend I tried the following combo on a 9 year old caddy.

1. Clayed, used Mothers

2. Meguairs #9

3. Meguairs #7

4. poorboys EX 2x

The results were stunning, I have had nothing but great comments about the car. I did it just to see if the EX would work over the top of #7. Seem to be, but we`ll see over time I guess.

Also did my 2000 red Lightning this weekend and used the following.

1. Poorboys Pro Polish

2. EX 3x

Again the results are just incredible, my truck has never look so good. All I can say is Steve has some great products, you won`t believe how easy this stuff goes on and comes off. And the results, well if you try them I don`t think you`ll be disappointed.

Application on both was with a pc

Jim:up

Pats300zx
05-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Got an pics of the Lightning????

2500Hemi
05-18-2003, 08:36 PM
Hey Tguil glad to see you made it over here. This site rocks:bow I only though I knew something about detailing until I came here:o I am sure you will find this site very informative and the people here just as helpful as they are at DTO (my user name there is BSkip). I also like the look of carnuba but have found that a synthetic lasts far longer and you can always layer it with a good carnuba for the look you like.

SamIam
05-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Black Truck, 10 miles of gravel road:eek: .

I have 2 black vehicles and recently tried Poorboys EX on my Audi and Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection on my Acura. The Acura`s black paint has a tint of blue metallic in in, so from what I read, that`s why I used the Platinum on it. Both vehicles look stunning, and as soon as I can get me pictures, I will post along with my review.

However, I can tell you, after 3 coats of Platinum and 2 coats of EX, a little dust, and a rain storm, I was bummed at how all my hard work looked down the drain. All was not lost. I pulled out Poorboys Wipe & Shine, and did both vehicles, paint, windows and wheels, sprayed on, wiped off with 2 microfiber towels (one for the first swipe, one to finish off and polish) in about 1 hour, or the same amout of time to wash the paint on 1 car. They look as shiny as new, much better than after a traditional wash. W&S rocks! If there is one product I don`t see doing without, it is WIpe & SHine.

Trust me, you buy that and it will out perform any QD you have in cleaning your car. If you want to go over with a QD afterwards, fine, but doubtful you`ll need it. The stuff works as advertised.

Gotta hand it to Steve, his products work great. In fact, after seeing my Audi, my neighbor offered me $200 to detail his Suburban, and a father of a kid on my son`s baseball team wants me to detail his black Strosek Porsche 911, saying, "Name your price!"

The bottom line, buy the Poorboys Wipe & SHine and your life will get much easier!

Thomasfl
05-18-2003, 10:25 PM
I agree with all the praise about S&W, we talk about a lot of products on here that are only slightly better or different than their counterparts and we discuss the subtle variances that they have. With S&W this is truly a unique product that is made exactly for autopians not your average car owner. If your car is not very dirty but dont feel comfortable using a QD because of scratches, then S&W comes into play. Almost like QEW in a bottle. I spray a few squirts on a MF and just wipe down my car assuming it is only slightly dusty, in minutes it looks great. But if I have a few extra minutes I like to hit it with a QD although as mentioned it is not exactly necessary.