PDA

View Full Version : I`m thinking I shouldn`t use this product on my paint...

JustinR32
05-16-2003, 09:58 PM
I was cleaning out my products rack, and found this; "FORD Wax Treated Dusting Cloth put a shine on cars and furniture" with the following blurb: "cleans dusts and polishes in one operation. The more often you use it the brighter the lustre. Dirt will not affect the cloth. Will last for months under daily use. When one part becomes dirty, fold it in. The cloth absorbs dust and dirt without injury to any finish."

I don`t believe that.

It`s pollen season where I live, and I`d just LOVE to wipe that hood and trunk with a nice soft cloth or a car duster and not get any micros, but what I really do is wash and QD. I`m thinking this rag is good for the dashboard and nothing else. Opinions?

I guess a followup question: What do you do when the car is dusty, like with pollen, but not dirty enough to wash? That Pinnacle Shampoo and QD gets expensive fast.

Mosca

loancoach
05-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Personally I would switch to Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo ($10/gal at Target and to an off the shelf QD like Final Inspection) that would save alot of money and still maintain your nice finish.

crooper
05-16-2003, 10:13 PM
yeah, that definitely doesn`t sound safe for your paint. i`m not even sure i`d use it on my dash or tires. when my car gets dirty, i wait till i can wash it. i`m one of those who don`t like the idea of QDing in between washes.

now would be a good time to start trying a new QD that you can find locally for less.

Patrick
05-16-2003, 10:21 PM
What do you do when the car is dusty, like with pollen, but not dirty enough to wash?

Patience my friend....

I think I`d wait until the pollen bloom is done. Dont go too frequently on the QD`s. And if you absolutely need it clean, hose the crud off first, then QD it.....

FORD Wax Treated Dusting Cloth

The cloth sounds like a Kozak.....which are good cloths, but again, go EZ on the frequency scale.....

JustinR32
05-16-2003, 10:34 PM
Patrick, by "Don`t go too frequently on the QDs" do you mean to say that it`s bad to QD frequently, or that it`s bad to QD without washing first? And crooper, I agree, I would NEVER QD without washing the car first, pollen or no.

I`m kinda new to this, but I`ve caught on to the basics pretty quickly, I think, and now it`s all about nuance. I love the way the Pinnacle QD brings out what I call the eye-popping "Pinnacle glow". What I mean about the cost is the frequency of washing during pollen season, not the value of the product. I don`t mind washing and QDing once a week, it`s washing and QDing daily that irks me.

Honest to cod, I had to drive the damn thing in the rain for a few days last week to remind myself that it`s just a car, and it`s gonna get dirty. But every time I see that glow, I`m captivated.

Patrick
05-16-2003, 10:51 PM
"Don`t go too frequently on the QDs"

I just dont think its a good idea to QD, say every other day or more often....I try to get at least three weeks between washes, with 1 QD in between (not including the follow up QD after a wash)...Just my .02.....And if I absolutely need to, but dont have time to wash, i will at least rinse her off with high pressure first......

shaf
05-17-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Mosca

What do you do when the car is dusty, like with pollen, but not dirty enough to wash? Three words: California Car Duster. :xyxthumbs

It`s pollen season here too, and this tool is a life saver, especially since the car can get covered in less than an hour now! :(

JustinR32
05-17-2003, 08:08 AM
4DSC, Thanks.

With over 3400 posts to your credit :eek: , I`ll take your word on it. I`ve been afraid to use the CCD on my paint.

Mosca

JohnSWA
05-17-2003, 08:15 AM
I was a little reluctant about the CCD also, but believe me. This thing ROCKS! Also don`t forget about the California water blade. This thing is definetly worth the money! It cuts the drying time down to nearly no time at all and you get a lot less water spots! If you have a costco or sams club in your area, buy them there. You will save boo coo $ and will be glad you did! Good luck!:xyxthumbs

John

Nick T.
05-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Three words: California Car Duster. :xyxthumbs
Originally posted by JohnSWA

Also don`t forget about the California water blade. This thing is definetly worth the money! It cuts the drying time down to nearly no time at all and you get a lot less water spots!We didn’t have a lot of pollen this year because it rained almost every day during pollen season, but I do have an ongoing problem with granite dust - not water soluble and very abrasive. I have to drive 1/3 mile on crushed granite to get from my house to the asphalt and even at less than 6 mph there is a lot of dust.

I’m very obsessive about my Jet Black paint, and Zaino is very susceptible to marring. I was hesitant to try the CCD, but didn’t want to do a wash after every drive, so I started experimenting with it. I found that by using very light strokes (the ends of the strings just barely touching the paint) and shaking out the CCD after each pass I could get the dust off without marring the Zaino! With a carnauba topping there isn’t the need to be quite so careful.

The CWB will save a little time, but there is a very high risk of causing some pretty severe marring! It only takes one small piece of debris between the blade and the paint to ruin your day! IMO a better solution is to rinse and dry each section as you go. Flood the area with low pressure water - this will help the water to “sheet†off. Then use a good quality waffle weave (such as the Big Blue Towel from CMA (http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/micprod1.html)), and blot, don’t wipe! Use a small wet/dry shop vac to blow the water out of the nooks and crannies. Also IMO, most marring is caused by careless washing and drying. Do it carefully!

imported_jr_mints
05-17-2003, 11:33 AM
I`m back home at vacation from college - which means living on gravel roads again. If it hadn`t rained for two days and gotten my car extremely muddy, I`d be using my CCD everytime I moved my car. I`ve never had major problems with it.

Here`s the best post I`ve seen on it:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10615

Happy Dusting

shaf
05-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by JohnSWA

Also don`t forget about the California water blade. It`s funny you mention this, because I also use the water blade. One thing you have to be weary of right now is the pollen blowing in the wind and sticking to the water on the car. I give the car another rinse just before blading and do the horizontal surfaces first.

Mosca, as impressive (or frightening :p) as my post count is, it doesn`t really mean anything. There are lots of members with fewer posts than I, but know more than I do. They`re just not as "active". :)

Another thing about using the CCD I found is that sometimes pollen can really collect on the outside strings and "whipping" the duster side to side on its axis helps beat this stuff out.

imported_Intel486
05-17-2003, 02:46 PM
We`re already out of pollen season here :D I`m into extreme dust season here though with all the construction going on around where I live...

Originally posted by Patrick

I just dont think its a good idea to QD, say every other day or more often....I try to get at least three weeks between washes, with 1 QD in between (not including the follow up QD after a wash)...Just my .02.....And if I absolutely need to, but dont have time to wash, i will at least rinse her off with high pressure first......

Why don`t you like Quick Detailing so often?

I think it is more safe to quick detail often than try to quick detail after a long period of time where dust and dirt have built up on your vehicle.

Patrick
05-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Intel, I just dont like to wet dust particles off my clear often. I am a firm believer in QD`s. Im not saying its bad to do, your cars surface is contantly picking up particles, even in your garage, unless its sealed pretty tight. Lets face it, dust is everywhere. My M/O is to wash the dust off the surface with high pressure, from a distance, then QD, as oppossed to just QD`ing. I therefore think my method is probably safer, but its not necessarily available to everyone, and I live in a condo, but make an effort to go to the quick wash facility and HP it.

I do agree with QD`ing often "If the surface is relatively clean to begin with." I, however, dont believe in "cleaning" your vehicle with QD`s often........=) This is where the problem lies with folks who buy the product to "clean", like a QW (quick wash). ((Is that a new acro i just created?)) lol

JustinR32
05-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Well,the first thing I did with the CCD is hit it with the shop vac, then wipe, then shop vac. I used light strokes, and it looks pretty dang good, np.

I don`t QD without washing first. Ever. I also use the CWB. I`ve used the sheeting method, but I still CWB. In 3 years I haven`t trapped any dirt yet, so I must be washing and rinsing properly.

Yeah, 4DSC, post count ain`t the be all and end all, but you`ve asked a lot of questions and haven`t been chased away yet!

Thanks, all. CCD for the paint, Ford cloth for the interior. CWB OK, but use care. QD after washing OK, and also at other times if dust buildup light, but not too often.

I like it here. I might start hangin` in the lounge.

Mosca