PDA

View Full Version : Question on 3m smr with pc

m3pilot
05-16-2003, 12:57 PM
I started working on my car using the pc and 3m smr with a yellow pad. I started with a white pad, but it was not getting out all the fine scratches so I moved up to a yellow pad. I am using a meguiars pad btw. My question is this: When the product would be virtually gone, it would start to leave a dusty residue, is this normal? I stoped working on the panel when the dust would appear and wiped it off with a mf towel. Is the dust just extra product that has dried? Or am I not using enough or maybe too much smr? I was using smr about the size of a quarter per section. It is a grey residue which makes me think it is smr, but does it sound like my technique is ok?

Patrick
05-16-2003, 01:03 PM
With my experience it sounds like your doing fine. But the key here is what does it look like after you buffed it out ? If your happy with the results, then you did a good job, otherwise do a panel over again. I usually keep my pad well saturated with product and wait until it dissapears on the area im working on, then buff dry/clean. 3M SMR is a great product, it should do you just fine with light swirls.

m3pilot
05-16-2003, 03:14 PM
The panel looks good when I am done. So the dust is normal from the 3m smr?

Patrick
05-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Yes, those are micro abrasives....

Nick T.
05-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Here’s what I suggest when using a new product ->

Use it only on a small area, not the entire car. Try is a time or two following the manufacturer’s instructions to the letter. Then start doing some experimenting - more or less pressure, buff longer or shorter time before removal, different pads, etc. Discover what works best for you on your paint. Once you know the ins and outs of the product on your paint, then try it on another car - wife, girl friend, buddy, neighbor, etc.

Good luck and have fun!