PDA

View Full Version : How do I make NuFinish pay for damages?

Pages : [1] 2

asennad
05-15-2003, 11:47 PM
I bought NuFinsh several years ago and used it as recommended on my car. I used it several times before I noticed it had begun to eat away at several plastic and vinyl parts on my car. It affected the black trim surrounding the rear window, the strip on the door, and drip molding on the roof. I only noticed it after trying to remove some visible residue one time and saw how it had attacked the trim.

The bottle, which I still have, doesn’t have the warnings that are present on later bottles. Without hiring a lawyer (or staring a class action lawsuit) how can I get them to pay for damages that clearly this product caused? They don’t even have a contact number or email on their website.

OUCH
05-16-2003, 12:15 AM
Hmm you can do it the American way... SUE! SUE! SUE! Say it cost you a lot of distress and there are times when people would make fun of you cause of your damage trims :D hehe

Nagchampa
05-16-2003, 01:10 AM
That is what small claims court is for.

DaGonz
05-16-2003, 05:49 AM
You are kidddng...right?

You want them to pay for your mistake of putting their product on the plastic and vinyl trim of your car becuase of your less than careful eforts?

Maybe all car protectants, waxes and chemicals should carry a warning....

don`t be a dumb a**

or maybe we can all use a little common sense!

imported_kgb
05-16-2003, 07:14 AM
Yeah, unless the bottle said it was safe for vinyl and plastic I think you are 100% at fault.

butchdave
05-16-2003, 07:48 AM
unless the bottle said it was safe for vinyl and plastic I think you are 100% at fault.

Hey! Give the guy a break :)

It would be reasonable to expect a user to get the product on areas surrounding the working area. If the product is likely to damage such surrounding areas then there should be a warning - as they are now giving.

They took a risk by not testing the product properly - I have no sympathy for companies who use their customers for testing (without their permission)

imported_kgb
05-16-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by butchdave

Hey! Give the guy a break :)

It would be reasonable to expect a user to get the product on areas surrounding the working area. If the product is likely to damage such surrounding areas then there should be a warning - as they are now giving.

They took a risk by not testing the product properly - I have no sympathy for companies who use their customers for testing (without their permission)

I would not even think of using a product on something that did not say it was safe for it. I will not use a cleaner that says "Safe for vinyl, plastic, and glass." to clean the painted surfaces on my car. Even without a "warning" that says "NOT SAFE FOR PAINTED SURFACES". That is just me though. Live and learn.

A little tip for future. When your done waxing, and you have some on the trim peices, use a trim cleaner like Stoner to clean the trim free from waxes and polishes. Then put a protectant on the trim. :xyxthumbs

butchdave
05-16-2003, 08:10 AM
I would not even think of using a product on something that did not say it was safe for it.

I wouldn`t disagree about being careful about using products - but if you make such products you have to consider how the average person will apply it - not just fanatical, obsessed autopians :)

imported_kgb
05-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by butchdave

I wouldn`t disagree about being careful about using products - but if you make such products you have to consider how the average person will apply it - not just fanatical, obsessed autopians :)

True...hahaha :doh

debric
05-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Unless you have plenty of time and money I think your going to be SOL.

F150BOB
05-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Has anyone else had this problem with NuFinish or any other product? What kind of car is it?

I`ve been using NuFinish regularly on a 93 Ford Explorer and my 97 F150 and the only problem I have with the trim is getting the NuFinish on the trim.

Unless it is a problem specific to some model of vehicle, some thing else must be going on here.

Anyway, let us know how you do. And no, I don`t work for NuFinish.

BOB

asennad
05-16-2003, 10:39 AM
I didn`t purposely apply it to the trim and moldings.

It was through regular application that the product came in contact with the trim. Unless I put masking tape on the edges of the trim it would have been impossible not to get some of the product on these parts.

A casual user of waxes and polishes like myself would have no reason to know that it should not come in contact with the trim. It should have had a warning on the bottle as it does now.

I have fixed most of the trim parts myself now. I pulled the door moldings off the car, sanded and repainted them. I used Back to Black on the black moldings but it has helped little. I will be painting the trim on the roof but the moldings around the rear window are shot.

Note: I don`t think this would be a problem today as most newer cars have trim and bumpers that are painted or better protected. My car did not have painted trim.

Bookus11
05-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Gonzo0903

You are kidddng...right?

You want them to pay for your mistake of putting their product on the plastic and vinyl trim of your car becuase of your less than careful eforts?

Maybe all car protectants, waxes and chemicals should carry a warning....

don`t be a dumb a**

or maybe we can all use a little common sense!

LMFAO :shocked

godofthunder
05-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Maybe the reason there are the new warnings on b/c of people trying to do the same thing caus they didnt prep. So whlie you have an old bottle, i dont think you could do much (since they already fixed the problem new). I dont know, just dont think you would get much.

Just prep next time :)

Jon

CharlesW
05-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Yeah, that`s about as bad as using dishwashing soap like Dawn on your car because you heard it would strip wax.

Charles:p