PDA

View Full Version : Friggin rear brakes!

Kleanride
05-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Oh my, this is VERY similar to a post I posted about 2 years ago....

So over the winter I brought the 1990 Bonneville (125k Miles if you are wondering) to the shop to get the front brakes replaced. Done and done, stopped fine, all is well....for about two months. Then the back brakes started clunking bad, then worse, the REALLY BAD, THEN I THOUGHT THE WHOLE THING WAS GOING TO FALL APART!!! So I brought it in, they said the shoes are fine, so they just turned the drums and cleaned & adjusted everything else. All is well for about 2 weeks...same thing, back to a different shop...they do the same thing. This goes on 3 more times. Then, about 2 weeks ago, it was starting to scare me...sounded like a dead body rolling around in the trunk. So I bring it in, and they replaced the drums and adjust everything. $300 for that ($90 a drum!! + labor WOW!). All is well for about 2 days. Then right back to where we started. So now we bring it in and had the brakes looked at and they just resurface the drums (and I had new struts and an alignment done...and strut mounting plates in the rear). $1100 later, all is well. On the drive home....guess what? RIGHT FRIGGIN BACK TO WHERE WE STARTED!

Basically, this is whats going on:

The brakes don`t pulsate, they wobble, like a rotor or a drum is REALLY warped. There is a loud `THUMP-THUMP-THUMP` on every wobble and it is FOR SURE coming from the rear.

Does this sound like a hydraulic problem? Wheel cylinders? Adjusting/hardware kit? Shoes?

Yes, you can feel it in the brake pedel

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, about that post from 2 years ago. Different car, same problem, never solved it, sold the car for a fraction of what it is worth so the dude could get it fixed.

:nixweiss

BradE
05-15-2003, 08:34 PM
Sheesh, that`s not good.

Are they using new spring kits with the drums and shoes? If they are reusing old springs and can really mess up the brakes.

Other than that, I`m stumped. Maybe a bent axle housing or hub causing it?

You might try PM`ing GeekySteve, he was an ASE Gold Tech.

Kleanride
05-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Other than that, I`m stumped. Maybe a bent axle housing or hub causing it?

DON`T FRIGGIN SAY THAT! Thats what I am worried about! :D

Fortunately, the spring kit hasn`t been replaced. I am hoping it is as simple as that. I could live with wheel cylinders too. It just doesn`t quite seem like a hydraulic problem, tho.

I just want to know what it is!!! (apparently) money isn`t the issue anymore! ha!

BradE
05-15-2003, 09:04 PM
I would start with the spring kits then. If the old springs are worn they can cause uneven pressure to be applied to the shoes and cause a wobble feeling. Really, any good brake shop should know better than to use the old springs.

Oh, won`t mention other "other" stuff. ;)

Kleanride
05-15-2003, 09:58 PM
yeah, lets stick with $20 stuff instead of three or four digit $$ stuff! Springs I can certainly live with!