PDA

View Full Version : Super Swirls

Pages : [1] 2

Jcrawford
08-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Is there such a thing?? i worked today on my gf`s car and no matter what i tried the spider webs would not go away. so i`m starting to believe that one can`t achieve a swirl free finish on a moderately neglected car w/ a PC. am i right in this statement bc i sure am frustrated by this. process used was ssr 2.5 w/ white LC pad then ssr2.5 w/ yellow LC pad since the white pad didn`t work. no dice. can spider webbing be so bad that it *needs* a rotary?

edschwab1
08-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Tell us more about the vehicle in question.

You may need a rotary to make the make defect free. You could also try a compound with a cutting pad using the PC. After that follow up with a lighter polish with a polishing pad.

Another possiblity is the paint defects are not in the top layer of paint.

Eric

bigron62
08-15-2004, 07:04 PM
yes you need a rotary to get out the bad ones. i tried compound on my p.c. and it looked better but not good enough .. i got a rotary and compound and they came right out ., some will not agree with me but that is my experience .. sometimes you have to remove some clearcoat to get rid of defects .. thats what the rotary is for .. i like to go behind the rotary with the pc to get rid of swirl marks .. they compliment each other very well

Don
08-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Yes, there are some paint problems that require a rotary to fix. That being said, I have had amazing results using the PC, a LC cutting pad and Megs #83. I have no experience with the SSR series, so I can`t offer any help there.

Here is a pic of a BADLY neglected Beretta. The left side is after washing, but before polishing, The right side is after 1 pass with DACP (about 5 minutes of buffing on that section of panel)

Jcrawford
08-15-2004, 07:10 PM
whoa !!!!!! :drool don that`s alwesome. DACP is my go to product and is what i achieved swirl freeness on my truck. i didn`t have any though. i guess ssr 2.5 is less abrasive than DACP???

edschwab1
08-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Jcrawford,
What products do you have?

Eric

Poorboy
08-15-2004, 07:31 PM
before you start removing too much of your gf`s clearcoat...answer a few questions...how long will she be keeping this car, can she afford a new paint job?, how well will this car be maintained after you remove the defects, and have you used any type of paint guage or magnafying lens to see how deep these "swirls/ spider webs" are? ...and are they in or under the clearcoat ....:dunno

Jcrawford
08-15-2004, 07:35 PM
edschwab: what type of product are you talking about? polishes :DACP, PWC, SSR 2.5, 1z UP,PP,MP

Poorboy: it`s gonna be kept till the wheels fall off, it`s an `02 ford focus. i never investigated it that carefully. just grab my PC and went at it? i`m just afraid to come aaacross this situatuion on a customer`s car.

Poorboy
08-15-2004, 07:45 PM
the same questions would still apply, even to a customers car ....I detailed some peoples cars for more than a decade and each year they got better and better, none ever needed repainting...if you do work for show cars, dealers or auctions then by all means get rid of every mark ...but use reason on an everyday vehicle that may be mis-treated and need swirl removal over and over again...

Woob
08-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy
the same questions would still apply, even to a customers car ....I detailed some peoples cars for more than a decade and each year they got better and better, none ever needed repainting...if you do work for show cars, dealers or auctions then by all means get rid of every mark ...but use reason on an everyday vehicle that may be mis-treated and need swirl removal over and over again...

:bigups Good info! A rotary isn`t that much of demand now! :lmfao

JaredPointer
08-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by bigron62
yes you need a rotary to get out the bad ones. i tried compound on my p.c. and it looked better but not good enough .. i got a rotary and compound and they came right out ., some will not agree with me but that is my experience .. sometimes you have to remove some clearcoat to get rid of defects .. thats what the rotary is for .. i like to go behind the rotary with the pc to get rid of swirl marks .. they compliment each other very well

Just be honest and tell us it was the NuFinish that worked.....:lmfao

Jcrawford
08-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy

so sometimes a complete detail for a customer doesn`t mean swirl free or at least swirl free in one session?

Poorboy
08-15-2004, 07:52 PM
exactly ....a new or well maintained vehicle may come out near perfect, an older vehicle that gets a full detail once a year or decade may take a while to restore safely and they are the ones you can try to get on a maintenence schedule to start preventing and repairing the mis-treatment:bigups

Don
08-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Jcrawford
Poorboy: it`s gonna be kept till the wheels fall off, it`s an `02 ford focus. i never investigated it that carefully. just grab my PC and went at it? i`m just afraid to come aaacross this situatuion on a customer`s car.

I think you would be safe if you grabbed a bottle of DACP and tried it again. I suggest trying a small area, say a section about 1/4 of the hood. Use a small amount of DACP (many suggest making an "X" on the pad to start) then working the area until the DACP is gone. Once you`ve done that, use a clean cloth/NF and a bit of QD to clean up the area and check the results.

After a while of doing this, you kind of get a `feel` for what you`re going to need when going into a detail. It`s still best though to try the least aggressive product first, perhaps the SSR IS less aggressive than the DACP, I really don`t know.

Ace Of Spades
08-15-2004, 08:20 PM
SSR 2.5 is every bit as abrasive as DACP. If you can`t remove the swirls with a cutting pad on the PC using SSR 2.5, DACP is not going to help. I would suggest using a rotary with a cutting pad. If you have no experience with the rotary, consider taking it to a professional. Just my 2 cents.