PDA

View Full Version : Clay on Red BMW 330Ci??

CATNC1
05-14-2003, 10:11 PM
I am new at this whole detailing thing and need some advice. I have a 2001 Bright Red BMW 330Ci that I have not detailed since I purchased it last July. I have purchase some products but think I may be missing something if I don`t use clay. Here was my plan, until I started and didn`t like the initial results.

1. Dawn Wash

2. Meguiars Medalion Paint Cleaner

3. Meguiars #7 Glaze

4. Meguiars Premium Paint Protectant

I am doing this by hand with Foam Applicator Pads. After doing a small section with Paint Cleaner and #7 I still have light swirls and small spots (rough to touch). I can get either Meguiars or Mothers Clay locally and I have Final Detail Spray that I could use. Is this a necessary step and which product will remove the swirls??? Also, Do I need to wash between steps??? I have stopped for now before I waste a lot of elbow grease for unwanted results.

Thanks!

John

Patrick
05-15-2003, 12:06 AM
I`d chuck all the Meg`s and go with Mothers....Great clay product and three step....I dont use it commercially but have in the past on personal vehicles and had much success with it....I just have probs with understanding what Im buying from Meg`s.....Their labeling is nothing short of a joke......seems like a lot of their products are multi use, although you think your buying a polymer, it has a cleaner in it....although you think your buying this, it has a little that in it....

Skip the dawn, people have a tendency to overuse the stuff, and if your polishing, dawn is pretty much useless as your polish will remove any previous Carnauba....

Mothers makes a great clay and QD (one of the best in Autopian minds), cleaner, sealer/glaze, and pretty good carnauba paste....Im sure you`ll have better results...

(to all who use Megs`)

Megs makes great products, and by no means am i bashing Meguiars, my personal preferences do not include their products due to a lack of me being able to decipher exactly what it is im buying.......

imported_JetBlack
05-15-2003, 12:24 AM
Welcome to Autopia John.

I use Meguires Gold car wash. There are many others, some will remove wax some wont. Since you are starting a freash you can use one that removes wax (for a one off use dawn might be OK, but I`d not use it at all).

After a good wash & dry clean all the contaminants using a claybar. Now you are ready to tackle the swirl marks, then polish and wax. I`d suggest you search the forum for "swirl marks" there are many threads and many methods & products described. It may take several attempts to get rid some if not all of the swirl marks (especially if you are not using a polisher). But unfortunately there are swirl marks that cannot be removed, you can only hide them by using the correct type of polish/wax.

Good luck.

Michaelwdes
05-15-2003, 02:29 AM
why wouldnt you use clay? its the easiest thing and most rewarding (noticable) thing you can do to your car. the car is not new anymore either, so hit it with clay, rinse and see what the damage is from there. looking smooth & feeling smooth are 2 TOTALLY different things. you want both. (-:

jcattarulla
05-15-2003, 09:39 AM
I notice you are not yet a "Contributing Member", which means you haven`t bought the eBook.

I`d recommend buying it and reading it prior to your first foray into heavy-duty detailing, it`s an indispensable guide, and it`s sales help to support this forum :xyxthumbs

imported_BretFraz
05-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by jcattarulla

I notice you are not yet a "Contributing Member", which means you haven`t bought the eBook.

I`d recommend buying it and reading it prior to your first foray into heavy-duty detailing, it`s an indispensable guide, and it`s sales help to support this forum :xyxthumbs

I agree completely. The e-book is a must read for those new to serious detailing. Anyone can slap a coat of wax onto their car but it takes some education and experience to make a car look great. Click on the "shop!" pic icon at the top of the page, then click on Autopia to find the e-book.

Also click on the "Learn!" pic icon at the top of the page to read detailing articles (they`re free).

imported_kgb
05-15-2003, 11:56 AM
I always clay first. Since I started claying the surface has come out so much smoother.

Brad B
05-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Patrick is right that polishes will remove many old products but the advantage of a Dawn bath in your case is that it will give you a clean base to start all your work. Your car has likely had several unknown wax treatments and a few years of abuse. (too late now, I suppose)

I would clay the car first. Meguiars clay is NOT on my list likes. Mothers, Autopia, Zaino, Pinnacle, Clay Magic, are all great. Use a QD or auto shampoo as a lube.

I agree that "do it all" cleaner waxes, with abrasives in them will not give you the best results.

Medallian Paint Cleaner is just "ok". Use a pure foam applicator and pack and forth motions only. Take your time! Same thing with #7. Don`t wash between steps or you will wash away fillers that are helping to hide swirls.

I feel you would get FAR better results with 3M Swirl Mark Remover. But, unfortunately, I can`t see the extent of your swirls.

To summarize, I would clay then go at the swirls with better product or another round of elbow grease. ;)