PDA

View Full Version : Help For Meguiar`s Product Confusion

CharlesW
05-14-2003, 08:20 PM
The auto body supply store that I purchase many of my Meguiar`s products from has a Meguiar`s manual that contains MSDS for all the Pro and Detailer products.

But more importantly, it also has the suggested uses and techniques for most of those products. They have let me do some reading several times that really helped me to better understand the proper use of their products. Hopefully, the store where you get your Meguiar`s Professional/Detailer products will let you refer to that same manual. If they do, you will have access to a lot of information that can be quite beneficial.

Charles:wavey

audio1der
05-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Thank you, Charles!

I have just recently found a competent local Meg`s dealer from whom I special-ordered #26 paste. I will ask about the catalogue when I go to pick up the product,

Thanks again!

CharlesW
05-15-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by audio1der

Thank you, Charles!

I have just recently found a competent local Meg`s dealer from whom I special-ordered #26 paste. I will ask about the catalogue when I go to pick up the product,

Thanks again!

Keep in mind, this is a distributor/dealer manual. It is not a catalog for the general public. The manual the dealer has is a loose leaf binder with information that is not in the sales literature with all the nice pictures. Just lots of good information.

Charles

paco
05-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Perhaps Mike can shed some light on it. That would be great to have here as a technical resource for everyone.

Mike_Phillips
05-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Hi all,

I will be glad to help out. ;)

As of May 1st, one of my job duties is to write Technical Data Bulletins for each and every product Meguiar`s manufactures, as well as dedicated Application Bulletins for each product.

These will be made available to read or download from the web.

Just like everything else†it`s a "time thing".

Besides, training, how-to clinics for clubs, and lots of writing, I am also going to be part of the team that will be painting, wet-sanding and buffing out Meguiar`s two new big rigs.

Rich Evans, owner of Huntington Beach Bodyworks

http://www.huntingtonbchbodyworks.com

and his partner, Terry Stevens will be laying down the black paint and wild graphics and flames. I`ll be taking pictures of the process and adding comments and then uploading them to the web for any of you interested in custom painting and what`s involved.

For those of you who don`t know about Rich and Terry, and their work, they have a stellar reputation for "Skulls, Skeletons, and Flames". I`ll take some pictures of some of their work and post those too... There work is impressive to say the least.

Rich told me we would be laying down 9 or more coats of PPG clear and sanding in-between so there will be no lines of demarcation where the graphics and flames are. Everything will be as smooth as glass when were finished.

I went over today to scope out the project and check out the trucks... my first impression was...

"Oh boy, this is going to be a lot of buffing"

My guess is that we will be "wearing-out" a couple of new Makita buffers, in the process of buffing out these trucks.

They will definitely be the largest rigs I have ever sanded down and buffed out.

I have to go back over there tomorrow and deliver some products; I`ll take some pictures and put them on the web. This is a situation where a few pictures will tell the story much better than pages of words.

And... I`ll get working on those Technical Bulletins and Application Bulletins for the web.

I also have most of the copy down for the "Definitive list of Meguiar`s Compounds, Cleaner/Polishes, Pure polishes and Cleaner/waxes" and their abrasive level for those that are interested in that.

Got to go...

paco
05-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Mike

Can you quicly describe the difference between Diamond Cut and the Compound Power Cleaner? is it solely an abrasive thing or are they instances where one should be used instead of the other?

chris0626
05-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Mike, have you seen enough questions in the threads here? Or would you like to create a thread asking for input on what Autopian detailers want/need to know? (Just a thought.)

Sure sounds like you have your hands full!

They will definitely be the largest rigs I have ever sanded down and buffed out.

Er ... so you have sanded/buffed other big rigs! ? :shocked

Mike_Phillips
05-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Hi Lynn,

My Lynn, :wavey forwarded this thread to me this morning and I am just now getting to it. (It’s 3:00pm here)

First I had to answer a plethora of e-mails, then a magazine interview/article on cleaning, polishing, and maintaining chrome, then a meeting on paint and polishing supplies for the new big rigs.

Now to your questions/comments...

Originally posted by Lynn

Mike, have you seen enough questions in the threads here? Or would you like to create a thread asking for input on what Autopian detailer’s want/need to know? (Just a thought.)

Nope, I haven`t seen enough questions yet... I love questions, there is never "too many questions".

Asking questions and actively "Seeking the Perfect Shine", keeps us all "sharp".

When I started out in 1988 as on Outside Sales Rep and Trainer for Meguiar`s, the first thing I noticed was that the hardest shop calls I had to make were shop calls to "Detailers who thought they knew everything". Not all detailers are like this, but I met many that were. Because they “thought†they knew everything... they had effectively "Walled" themselves off from anything "New", or "Things they had never seen before".

Example: Meguiar`s came out with the very first foam pad called, the "BuffMaster Wooless Wonder", for polishing paint back in 1965, shortly after the first Mustang came to market and Gilligan’s Island debuted, (1964 for both). 1965 was also the year the Beach Boys released “California Girls†and "Help me Rhonda", then the Rolling Stones released, "Get off of my Cloud", and "I can`t get no Satisfaction".

(Just to add some perspective as to how long our original foam pad has been around)

In 1988 I was showing painters and detailers a bright yellow foam polishing pad that dramatically reduced buffer swirl problems while creating dramatically more “clear†results with superior gloss and shine compared to what wool pads could produce. This foam pad, the Wooless Wonder had been out on the market for “33 Yearsâ€, and yet for whatever reasons, some of these guys had never seen one.

(I think some of the reasons some of these guys had never seen onen before includes the “Walled off from new ideas†reason ;) )

It always caught me by surprise that in 1988 and into the 90`s I could call on shops that had never seen them before.

(I can post of picture of one of the orginal "Wooless Wonder" if anyone is interested).

So I actually like people who ask questions, and are open to new ideas and new products because that’s how I am, and I know that having an open mind and always questioning and challenging the status quo is how we, as a group, continue to grow and take our passion, (detailing cars/polishing paint), to a higher level.

Do I have the time to answer all of the questions, comments, and criticisms posted here and on other forums? No, but I want to, and it is now part of my job description. It all comes back to a “time thingâ€.

Just a side note: I have been visiting David’s Autopia website since at least 1998, back when it started out as www.autopia-carcare.com, (is that right David? the “WayBack Machineâ€, http://www.archive.org only tracks your site back to 1999, but I think I have page of your website printed out from 1998 in a folder somewhere), and I think I have been reading and participating on his forum since it’s inception, I don’t remember exactly when, David could probably research that but it’s not really important.

I have been posting “how-to†stuff relating to Meguiar’s since 1994, possibly, 1993, mostly to the Usenet Newsgroups, specifically, rec.autos, and then to rec.autos.misc, after rec.autos split. (rec.autos grew too large and the topics varied so much that back in 1994 it divided into rec.autos.misc and rec.autos.tech). All of this was way before web-based forum software such as vbulletin was even invented.

Sure sounds like you have your hands full!

Yes, like many of you†I’m busy.

Er ... so you have sanded/buffed other big rigs! ? :shocked

No, I didn’t mean it to read like that, at least not “Big Rigs†as in trucks. I have polished out a few large motor homes, delivery vans, and pleasure boats, but not big semi-trucks; this will be a first, and probably a last. I will be posting over on my website, www.showcargarage.com updates which will show just how much work goes into a project like this.

Probably the largest custom rig I have done is a 1971 Black Suburban, (3 door model). This was a street rod with a built 454 and single stage black enamel finish. I wet-sanded it using Meguiar’s “Nikkenâ€, finishing papers and the buffed it out using their paint cleaners, cleaner/polishes, foam pads etc.

While not as big as a semi-truck, a 71 Suburban, does offer a lot of “real-estate†to either turn it into a “Glistening Gemstoneâ€, or worse provide you with a lesson from the “School of Hard Knocksâ€.

I have pictures of the process and the finished results for the above mentioned Suburban which I will post them as time permits to my “Project Archiveâ€, which will include all of the cars I have buffed out over the years, and that I have captured on film.

Now†back to work on the “Definitive list of Meguiar’s Compounds, Cleaner/polishes, Pure Polishes and Cleaner/waxes and their abrasiveness level, and then onto to paco’s question about the difference between #84 and #85 and when you, (or I), would choose one over the other.

p.s.

[Quote]Or would you like to create a thread asking for input on what Autopian detailer’s want/need to know? (Just a thought.)

Sure, how about after the Memorial Day weekend? :xyxthumbs