PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else notice that Platinum is kind of "greasy"?

Pages : [1] 2

2wheelsx2
05-14-2003, 06:11 PM
I have been very happy with the results and the ease of application and removal of Platinum UPP since I got it over two months ago. 4 cars, multiple coats later, I am very happy with it.

Last night, I decided to do a couple of my motocycle helmets with AIO and PUPP. This is what I use for most cars. I only apply SG on my own car and my wife`s, because of the time factor.

Anyway, I have always noticed that PUPP looks kind of greasy when I apply it, but it always wipes off clean. But this time, after leaving it on the helmets for 20 minutes, I went to wipe off the PUPP, it kind of just kept smearing around. :eek:

I have never noticed this on car paint, and the helmets are basically the same, a base coat, and a clear. The only thing different that I did was use a cotton terry cloth, rather than MF, for removal.

So, what could have been the difference? Too much product (I didn`t use more than normal, but the surface area of helmets are small, so maybe I was a bit too enthusiastic)? Cotton doesn`t pick up the product as well? Not enough drying time?

imported_jgv
05-14-2003, 06:31 PM
You only waited 20 minutes? That`s for SG. For UPP 45 min to 1 hour before buffing. As for instructions and by my experience.

2wheelsx2
05-14-2003, 06:44 PM
Hmmm...the only reason I use PUPP is that I have buffed as quickly as after 10 minutes. The instructions I got do not say 1 hour.

Directions from premium auto care:

Use very thin coats to apply Ultimate Paint Protection and never moisten your applicator. This high quality polymer product is super-concentrated and needs to be applied to a dry surface with a dry applicator and applied in thin coats. Keep in mind that a little goes a long way. Let product adhere to paint and cross-link for 30 minutes before removing excess. Remove with high quality microfiber detailing towels.

I had always had good successive leaving it on for 20 minutes or less. With Klasse SG, I usually leave for 1+ hours. If I had to wait an hour, I would skip the PUPP and use SG instead.

However, thanks for the reminder. I`ll try another coat tonight leaving it for 30 minutes. :xyxthumbs

imported_memnuts
05-14-2003, 07:21 PM
This time try a MF for the buff and apply less product. :nixweiss

2wheelsx2
05-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I am going to try a super thin coat on the two helmets, buff one with MF, and the other with cotton to see if there is any difference.

Dave N
05-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Maybe it`s the finish on the helmets:nixweiss

Are motorcycle helmets gel-coated or anything? I`ve used UPP only once on the hood of my truck and it wasn`t greasy, but I`ve been using it on the bathroom sink for the past several weeks and it smears around when I wipe it off.

imported_Intel486
05-14-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Yeah, I am going to try a super thin coat on the two helmets, buff one with MF, and the other with cotton to see if there is any difference.

There will be a difference between MF and Cotton.

MF is great for picking up oil or greasy products. I found they are great for One Grand Omega Glaze, Pro`s P-11, and P21S or S100.

Cotton towels seem to work better on products that leave a thicker, chaulkier residue like Pro`s Profection.

imported_jgv
05-15-2003, 04:07 AM

Hmmm...the only reason I use PUPP is that I have buffed as quickly as after 10 minutes. The instructions I got do not say 1 hour.

Directions from premium auto care:

Use very thin coats to apply Ultimate Paint Protection and never moisten your applicator. This high quality polymer product is super-concentrated and needs to be applied to a dry surface with a dry applicator and applied in thin coats. Keep in mind that a little goes a long way. Let product adhere to paint and cross-link for 30 minutes before removing excess. Remove with high quality microfiber detailing towels.

I had always had good successive leaving it on for 20 minutes or less. With Klasse SG, I usually leave for 1+ hours. If I had to wait an hour, I would skip the PUPP and use SG instead.

However, thanks for the reminder. I`ll try another coat tonight leaving it for 30 minutes. :xyxthumbs

Those instructions are outdated and refer to the old UPP. They have a separate sheet with the new 45min instructions.

Thomasfl
05-15-2003, 09:17 AM
I follow the same instructions as JPV never had a problem. I like to apply it with a PC to make sure the layer is thin.

HilfigerCelica
05-15-2003, 05:48 PM
I just received my Platinum today and have two questions. Can I use a foam pad to apply UPP? The instructions says to use a terry cloth applicator. Secondly, should I use some IHG or any other polish to prep the paint before I use the Platinum Cleaner?

2wheelsx2
05-15-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by jgv

Those instructions are outdated and refer to the old UPP. They have a separate sheet with the new 45min instructions.

Hmm...I didn`t get a separate sheet. Just what`s on the bottle. Like I said, I have used it on 5 or 6 cars without any problems. I have left it as short as 10 minutes and as long as 1 hour. Didn`t seem to make much difference except in this instance.

As for the helmets being different--in a word, no. They are carbon-kevlar/fiberglass composites, but are base coat and clear coat painted just like cars.

I`ll have to do some more experimentation to see what happened.

I am still sold on the ease of use of Platinum, but am just curious as to why this happened this particular time.

2wheelsx2
05-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by HilfigerCelica

I just received my Platinum today and have two questions. Can I use a foam pad to apply UPP? The instructions says to use a terry cloth applicator. Secondly, should I use some IHG or any other polish to prep the paint before I use the Platinum Cleaner?

I use terry covered foam pads, but I don`t think it makes much of a difference. As for polish, if your finish needs to be polished then go ahead and use a real polish, like #9 or SMR. IHG will just be removed by the Platinum Cleaner. That`s what the cleaner will do, remove oils and old wax.

Nick T.
05-15-2003, 06:59 PM

Hmm...I didn`t get a separate sheet. Just what`s on the bottle. Like I said, I have used it on 5 or 6 cars without any problems. I have left it as short as 10 minutes and as long as 1 hour. Didn`t seem to make much difference except in this instance. Just a guess, but early removal may not allow the UPP to bond properly.

Originally posted by HilfigerCelica

I just received my Platinum today and have two questions. Can I use a foam pad to apply UPP? The instructions says to use a terry cloth applicator. Secondly, should I use some IHG or any other polish to prep the paint before I use the Platinum Cleaner? 1) IMO it shouldn’t make much (if any) difference which applicator you use. I use a 5†or 6†square of MF with good results with UPP.

2) UPP-C is about as abrasive as GEPC or SEC and would probably make quick work of IHG. Do your swirl removal first, then follow with the UPP-C (preferably with a RO buffer) to increase the reflectivity.

2wheelsx2
05-15-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Nick T.

Just a guess, but early removal may not allow the UPP to bond properly.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think I was just smearing it around. Probably not cured properly.

bunker
05-15-2003, 07:55 PM
The bottle of UPP I have does not mention how long to let the product "cure" on the paint before buffing off the residual. I had to check their website which gives the proper time. I was wiping too soon at first and getting a slight greasy feeling.