PDA

View Full Version : Brake Dust

Mr Zipps
05-14-2003, 08:44 AM
What`s the best product to keep brake dust of the rims?

Aslo, make it easier to clean them?

Scott301
05-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Hello there.

I am looking for the same thing. I just received a magazine from clevergear.com. I was just looking at a product in their catalog called, Wheel Shield. It is a "Wheel Protectant spray that leave a non-stick coating on your wheels that prevents oil, grease and brake dust from sticking. It makes cleaning them effortless. Protection lasts up to one year."

You may want to take a look. Not sure if it works though.

Brad

Lowejackson
05-14-2003, 10:48 AM
The normal thing to do is to use a sealent Klasse Zaino etc, this not only gets the wheels looking good but make them very easy to clean.

Steven

Spilchy
05-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by BradNC

Hello there.

I am looking for the same thing. I just received a magazine from clevergear.com. I was just looking at a product in their catalog called, Wheel Shield. It is a "Wheel Protectant spray that leave a non-stick coating on your wheels that prevents oil, grease and brake dust from sticking. It makes cleaning them effortless. Protection lasts up to one year."

You may want to take a look. Not sure if it works though.

Brad

I`d be nervous about that.

I love and use Wheel Wax every other month. Cleanup is a breeze - soap and water. Brake dust buildup is nearly eliminated. You can use AIO or Meguiars #20 too.

Nick T.
05-14-2003, 11:56 AM
A couple of months ago I did some comparison testing of wheel treatments. The contenders quickly narrowed down to Zaino and Klasse. I put Z on one front wheel and K on the other - also topped an area on each wheel with Wheel Wax.

Results: Both Z and K made cleanup just a matter of wiping with a towel dampened with QD. There was a little more dust on the Klasse wheel which I’m assuming meant that Zaino did a slightly better job of repelling the dust - most likely because Zaino gives a harder, smoother surface. The Wheel Wax areas needed washing, not wiping, and had a lot more dust that the Z or K areas. My guess is that the high wheel temps softened the wax enough that it trapped the brake dust.

If I didn’t have both Zaino and Klasse, then I’d go for Klasse on the wheels. It’s hard to mix a small enough amount of Zaino and ZFX to do just the wheels, and using Z-1 instead of ZFX means two rounds of application (which is a PITA on my wheels).

If anybody want my 99% unused Wheel Wax, it’s available for $5 plus mailing.

Spilchy
05-14-2003, 12:12 PM
hhmmmmm Nick. Sorry to hear about your Wheel Wax experience. I love it. It works wonders on my Jetta`s wheels. There is no break dust build up and they wipe clean with an old MF / cotton wash pad and soapy water. The wheels still bead with protection. I apply EFCP for further shine and protection.

Anyway, thanks for the comparison test. I have AIO and I`ll try it next weekend for my Memorial Day detail. I`m taking Friday off from work so I`ll have a 4 day weekend!

Nick T.
05-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

I have AIO and I`ll try it next weekend for my Memorial Day detail. Top the AIO with SG for the best results.

How ‘bout doing the wheels on one side of the Jetta with Klasse and the other side with Wheel Wax - and posting the results after a week of driving? “Enquiring minds want to know!â€

imported_Tony
05-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Why dont you try ceramic brake pads!

Nick T.
05-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by rightlane

Why dont you try ceramic brake pads! Even if you remove the calipers and drag your feet to stop the car, you still have to keep the wheels clean! ;)

Mr Zipps
05-14-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by rightlane

Why dont you try ceramic brake pads!

Actually I have Ceramic Brake Pads on my 03 Acura TL-S. There is a small amount of break dust accumulation. :up

I was asking because I`m detailing a friends BMW 525 and everyday his rims are black. Even after cleaning them.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will try them out. :D

HouseOfShine
05-14-2003, 03:23 PM
BMWs and other German cars are notorious for producing lots of brake dust.

Take a look at the front wheels whenever you see a Bimmer. Even tho people tend to take pretty good care of BMW`s, you see lots of front wheels caked with black dust.

RJJ
05-14-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by HouseOfShine

BMWs and other German cars are notorious for producing lots of brake dust.

Take a look at the front wheels whenever you see a Bimmer. Even tho people tend to take pretty good care of BMW`s, you see lots of front wheels caked with black dust.

HouseOfShine:

Until m.y. `01 I would have agreeded with you completely. My 99 Jetta (TDI of course) left the wheels nearly black with dust. It was so bad that when rotating the tires I would be literally covered with dust if I did not wash the steel wheels off prior to letting loose with the air wrench.

But when we got our new Jetta wagon in `01 (TDI of course!) I very quickly realized that a new type of pad had been used as there really isn`t any dust at all to speak of. Ditto this for my `03 Jetta wagon (yes another diesel) and my wifes `03 gas pig Passat 4 Mo-its tough going from about 60 to 30 mpgs!! BUT tip is a hoot, 4Mo is beyond cool and this thing flies, well compared to a 90hp oil burner anyway... and all the Subaru`s we have had-including the H6.