PDA

View Full Version : Perfecting technique w/EX

jerryb540
05-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Although I was ecstatic with my results the first time I used EX, application and definitely removal were not as easy as some others here had experienced. I was ready to go back to Blackfire II/S100 combo I had been using, but today I decided to give EX another go. This time I cut one of my microfiber towels into 1/4`s to use for application. I dampened the 4"x4" square with water first. After folding damp towel into 2" square I squirted a small amount of EX on one side and then spread it around on the towel. Application was much easier this time than when using foam applicator; got a nice thin even coat. Also let it haze up longer, about an hour.

For removal, I used one of my new DF towels (incredible product). Buffing off was much easier this time.

VOILA, incredibly slick, deep, wet shine again with MUCH less angst.:D

imported_jgv
05-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Glad you didn`t give up just cause you couldn`t do it right the 1st time ;)

imported_Intel486
05-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by saab 9-5

For removal, I used one of my new DF towels (incredible product). Buffing off was much easier this time.

What kind of towel is that and where`d you get it?

Thomasfl
05-13-2003, 08:59 PM
I have been using MF applicators with no problem with the EX keeping the layer thin and waiting at least a half hour.

jerryb540
05-13-2003, 09:05 PM
PM Leo here, his user name is DF Towel

HRD
05-14-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

What kind of towel is that and where`d you get it?

Or visit the website:

http://www.dftowel.com/

I have to agree, they are by far the softest towels I have ever used. The only downsides are that they snag very easily and cost.

I just wish I had more of them! :xyxthumbs

TortoiseAWD
05-14-2003, 09:00 AM
If you have a PC, I suggest applying with a grey finishing pad. If you wet and wring the pad (so that it`s pretty damp, but not wet), a little EX will go a long way, and the layer will be very thin. Shooting the pad with a QD every other panel or see keeps the pad face damp and the EX spreading thinly.

Wiping off the residue when applied that way is like wiping a layer of dust off the car . . . easier than every other sealant I`ve tried.

If applying by hand, I use a Viking foam applicator, and pretty much the same technique: wet and wring the applicator so it`s damp, and spray with QD occasionally to keep it that way.

Tort

imported_f150smith
05-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Which QD do you use to dampen your pad with??

TortoiseAWD
05-14-2003, 11:11 AM
I`ve used both EO Wipe-n-Shine, and a mix of ClearKote Quik Shine with Wizard`s Mist-n-Shine . . . didn`t really seem to matter which; both had the desired effect.

Tort

ashsarna
05-15-2003, 09:12 AM
YOu would get great spreading ability using distilled water/plain water misted on a mf pad or even a 100% cotton pad (with the padding removed). Try it, I like it over misting with a qd (like I would do for AIO and sg).

SamIam
05-15-2003, 12:21 PM
I currently have my second layer of EX on my Black Audi and giving it an hour to set. I do have a couple of questions though,

1) How many layers are optimal for max shine? I have just put on # 2 but wonder if more would really add anything.

2) Will I get a better payback from putting on a couple of layers of S100? I`m debating whether I will get a good return on my effort if I add S100 to the mix, or am I better off just adding a layer of EX every 15 to 30 days?

3) I have been leaving it on the surface for an hour before removing. Is this sufficient? Been putting 24 hours between layers.

So far, I love this stuff. I used AIO & SG before while I love AIO, SG just got to be too big of a pain for the payback. I am experimenting with EX on my black Audi and Platinum on my black Acura MDX. As soon as I have some pics and results, I will share with the class!

Sam

Poorboy
05-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Sam

1. Three layers seems the best for me

2. At the level you are talking about, it becomes very subjective .

to add not to add is a personal preference

3 . 24 hours in more than sufficient..

I left some on overnight and it was just as easy to remove...

4. let`s see some pictures :lol:

imported_memnuts
05-15-2003, 02:57 PM
I have experimented with as many as 5 coats of EX. Results: no sufficient returns after 3 coats. I have actually stopped topping EX with a carnuaba ( P21S and Souveran) for the hot summer months. No decrease in appearance ( brighter ambient light :nixweiss). I tend to get a "carnauba" haze when exposed to high surface temps this time of year. True EX has a carnuaba component but this problem has not appeared yet.

imported_kgb
05-15-2003, 03:08 PM
I always polish the car with Griot`s polish, then add a layer of EX, all with my Porter Cable. Then wait an hour and take it off using a Griot MF towel by hand. It comes off soooooo freaking easy I can not believe it. It come off with no elbow grease. I love it!