PDA

View Full Version : Does layering wax and sealants really make much of a difference?

Pages : [1] 2

OUCH
05-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Does layering wax and sealants really make much of a difference? I just layed my 2nd coat of Klasse SG and I seriously can`t tell the difference. Will layering it with S100 make any?

spartacus_33
05-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Sure it will make a difference. I would try one more coat of SG, and follow with the S100. It will raise the gloss level slightly, but most wax fans love it.

Jngrbrdman
05-13-2003, 08:57 PM
To the detailer you may not see the difference. You are a little too close to the forest to see the trees. To the average joe who sees your car after each coat I think they will notice the difference. Layers do make a difference.

shaf
05-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Sometimes appearance improves after a day or more when the product(s) cure too.

Nick T.
05-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by OUCH

Does layering wax and sealants really make much of a difference? I just layed my 2nd coat of Klasse SG and I seriously can`t tell the difference. Will layering it with S100 make any? I’ve been playing with different combinations of layering for awhile now and am convinced that topping synthetic with carnauba is the path to follow. I haven’t done it with SG, but it’s not that much different from other synthetics.

My rules of thumb: Start with as good a paint prep as you’re willing to spend the time on getting. Add layers of synthetic until there’s only a small increase in reflectivity with the next layer (3-4 with Zaino, 4-5 with PUPP). Add very thin layers of carnauba (I’ve been using P21S, Souverän, and S100 pastes) until there’s only a small increase in depth with the next layer (don’t know how many yet, but it looks like somewhere between 4-10).

Afterthought - the layer count probably depends on the color of your car as well as other factors. Mine is Jet Black.

Good luck and have fun!

OUCH
05-14-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Nick T.

I’ve been playing with different combinations of layering for awhile now and am convinced that topping synthetic with carnauba is the path to follow. I haven’t done it with SG, but it’s not that much different from other synthetics.

My rules of thumb: Start with as good a paint prep as you’re willing to spend the time on getting. Add layers of synthetic until there’s only a small increase in reflectivity with the next layer (3-4 with Zaino, 4-5 with PUPP). Add very thin layers of carnauba (I’ve been using P21S, Souverän, and S100 pastes) until there’s only a small increase in depth with the next layer (don’t know how many yet, but it looks like somewhere between 4-10).

Afterthought - the layer count probably depends on the color of your car as well as other factors. Mine is Jet Black.

Good luck and have fun!

And with that much layers how long do you expect the wax to last, with a wash every week. Car parked outside, dusted everyday and Sparayed with QD every other day..

And how often should I wax after I`m done with all the layers?

Nick T.
05-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Sorry, but I can’t give you any good answers to your questions. I wash very infrequently - QD before/after every drive - garaged when not being driven - more layers added long before the old layers have dissipated.

OUCH
05-14-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Nick T.

Sorry, but I can’t give you any good answers to your questions. I was very infrequently - QD before/after every drive - garaged when not being driven - more layers added long before the old layers have dissipated.

Oh so you`re talking about a garage queen? hmm so I`ll just assume after I`m done with the layering I`ll wax every 30 days

YoSteve
05-15-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by OUCH

I just layed my 2nd coat of Klasse SG and I seriously can`t tell the difference.

The second may not but the third you should notice that it is smoother with more shine.

It makes a huge difference if you allow Klasse to cure for a day to effectively layer.

TurboCat
05-15-2003, 05:19 AM
So Steve,

If I put on a layer of Klasse and let it sit overnight in the garage, then before applying another layer the next day should I give the car a quick QD with Sonus?

YoSteve
05-15-2003, 04:24 PM
I tend not to "interrupt" the process, but since Sonus was developed to work with acrylic polymers, that should be okay. The car wash you use can also play a role in how your car looks as well.

glass_image
05-15-2003, 08:54 PM
what would be a good wax to layer on top of meguiars #26? aslo should i add like 3 layers of 26 or how many?

Acura_RL
05-15-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by glass_image

what would be a good wax to layer on top of meguiars #26? aslo should i add like 3 layers of 26 or how many?

I think 26 by itself is ok, it takes on a distinct characteristic on its own. It gives a nice soft wet look to the paint.

I might try the layering it though, maybe 2 or 3 layers.

F150BOB
05-16-2003, 08:59 AM
My two cents worth,

I`ve layered S-100 over original Blackfire and NuFinish and heck ya` it makes a difference. I was really surprised I could see a difference, but I sure could.:bounce

By the way, one vehicle is black and one is a very dark blue.

On the other had, on my white car, I really could not see a difference. But, on that car, nothing seems to make it look, or feel, much different.:nixweiss

BOB

Lemonxxs
05-16-2003, 10:20 AM
TOo each his own on wether it makes a difference.....only you can tell.....

As for the klasse layering...apply it remove it and then wait 24 hrs to apply another layer.......