PDA

View Full Version : Paint dilemma.....

Jake11375
05-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Here recently, I`ve noticed what seems like very tiny cracks or splits on the trunk of my car. They are around 1 milimeter long and some branch out like tree limbs. Looks like approx 50-60 of them. I can`t feel them with my fingernails. They may in fact be under the clear coat. :confused: It is unnoticable unless you get very close up on the vehicle. Paint is very glossy and slick to surface despite this. What is this, and can it be repaired without repainting? 8-year old black metallic paint. I don`t have a camera for pictures, sorry.:nixweiss

shaf
05-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Uh oh, I hope this isn`t something called "crazing" or "checking" - try searching around for this maybe. The only thing is, I thought that sort of thing is supposed to be rough feeling since it`s on the surface. :nixweiss

imported_Intel486
05-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Sounds like Crazing. It is in the clear and the only option is to have it repainted.

I`ve got it on my truck on the hood, roof, and bedcover! I just don`t worry about it but then again I work out of my truck and beat it up pretty badly.

Jake11375
05-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. It looks like I`m going to have it repainted. I took it to a few body shops yesterday after work and they said it is laquer cracking. Small cracks beneath the clear coat that have no remedy but to strip the panel and repaint. There are a few starting on my roof too. (4-5) Like you intel I`m really not worried about it now. Unless I can get a real good deal on getting it fixed, I`ll just wait, becuase it is hardly noticeable anyway. The shops said nothing could have been done to prevent it since the car is not garaged from the sun. Anyone know how this is caused and if it can be prevented? Is this some kind of paint defect?:sosad :nixweiss

shaf
05-14-2003, 01:02 PM
I don`t think the sun by itself would have caused that. Something had to be wrong with it to allow this to happen.

Try this Autoint`s site maybe: http://www.autoint.com/tech__tips.htm

Good luck with getting it fixed! :)

Jake11375
05-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the link 4DSC,

I wondered about the sun theory myself, so I went and got another opinion at Fred Jones body shop in OKC on my lunch break. They said it is definitely a manufacturer defect and suggested I check and see if there are any recalls on it. I searched the web for recalls and Alldata.com showed a recall on the A/C Condenser and interestingly enough, a few service bulletins concerning paint. Examples: Body- minor paint finish repair, Body- Vehicle Paint codes, Paint damage from environmental fallout. (Not exactly sure what service bulletins are.) :nixweiss I also checked Honda.com and registered my vehicle for any recalls and it listed none active. I`ll call the dealer later today and find out more about this. I`m thinking it won`t be covered because recalls usually cover a 7 year time period and I am at 8 years. It`s worth a try, all they can say is yes or no. I`ll be hoping for a yes....:up