PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my first serious detail

BoNgBlAzE
05-13-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey guys, I dont post much but I have been reading the board alot lately and yesterday I went out and bought a PC 7336. How does this sound for my first detail with it? I have a black grand prix gtp and It has quite a few swirls/light scratches.

Wash with Dawn

1- Mothers Clay Bar

2- DACP with yellow CMA pad

3- Meg #9 2.0 with white CMA pad

4- Zaino quick detail spray

5- Zaino Z1

6- Zaino Z2

7- Meguairs High tech yellow wax

How do these steps sound? Anything I should add or change?

Thanks alot

chris0626
05-13-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by BoNgBlAzE

Wash with Dawn

1- Mothers Clay Bar

2- DACP with yellow CMA pad

3- Meg #9 2.0 with white CMA pad

4- Zaino quick detail spray

5- Zaino Z1

6- Zaino Z2

7- Meguairs High tech yellow wax

I don`t use DACP, #9, etc., nor do I own a PC, so I can`t comment on that. But ...

- Apply Z6 before and after Z2

- Do you not have ZFX? It will let the Z2 set-up a lot faster. (Look at the Zaino site, if you`re not familiar with it.)

- Have you considered Z5 before Z2? Lots of folks seem to recommend it for the 1st Zaino step on a dark-colored car.

2wheelsx2
05-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Just my opinion, but since you are going to be polishing the paint with DACP and/or SMR, I wouldn`t do the Dawn wash. Just use regular car wash.

If you work the DACP well, you will probably not need to use the #9 afterwards either. Just assess your paint after you are done with the DACP. I have never had to go over it with SMR.

I am not a Zaino user, but I think Lynn has answered those questions.

2wheelsx2
05-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah, BlackRegal`s post tweaked my memory. You`ll probably want to Dawn wash after DACP and/or #9 because they both have oils and fillers.

BoNgBlAzE
05-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys, Will I have any problem with the high tech yellow wax over the zaino?

Spilchy
05-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by BoNgBlAzE

Thanks guys, Will I have any problem with the high tech yellow wax over the zaino?

Just make sure you don`t "BoNgBlAzE" before you start your detail! Hey, at least you won`t be using a rotary :lol :lol :lol

Thomasfl
05-13-2003, 09:31 PM
yeah dude I agree lay off the herbs when your detailing.

BoNgBlAzE
05-14-2003, 02:39 PM
I cant find DACP in any stores near me so I am going to use #9 with a yellow pad. Should I follow that with Show car glaze and a white pad or just go straight to the zaino process?

thanks

adjulian
05-14-2003, 02:59 PM
You don`t want to put a glaze on your car before you put Zaino because the Zaino won`t bond with the car`s paint. Also, per BlackRegal, wash your car after the #9 to remove the oils/fillers.

I agree with Lynn that Z1 then Z5 then Z2 is great. I have never used ZFX but I think that Z cures pretty quickly anyways, provided that you use thin coats.

Lots of differing opinions regarding topping Z with a wax but it`s up to you. I have actually topped Z with PPG and thought it looked even better.