PDA

View Full Version : Winter Protection & Durability

Pages : [1] 2 3

NYV6Coupe
08-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Hi everyone, I need some advice.

I`m very pleased with the results of VM + EX-P(2) and S100 on a silver metallic Accord Coupe for this time of year but what about winter time & salt in the NorthEast, specifically Western New York?

I don`t expect the S100 to last more than a 4 - 5 weeks, so monthly reapplications are not a problem until it starts to snow.

How durable is EX-P for winter time protection?

I hand wash everytime the weather gives me a break but reapplying EX-P in 35 - 40 degree weather would probably result in 3 day curing time, if it`s possible to apply it at this temp at all.

I`m leaning towards FMJ just `cause it`s a German product & I`m sure their winters suck just like ours so I would expect durability to range between above-average to superior.

I`m open to suggestions. What works for you?

MattZ28
08-15-2004, 02:52 PM
I`d try topping with a different wax for the winter, like Meguiar`s #16 or Collinite. If you really want to try a different sealant for the winter, I`d go with the Klasse twins, or Zaino.

scottabi
08-15-2004, 02:53 PM
In *MY* opinion any sealant will be a good investment for the winter time. Last year I used AIO&SG and it worked out fine. I topped it with S100 every other week or so. If you got any sealant on the paint and keep it regulary washed you should be fine. I find that S100 goes on fine during the winter months getting it off is a little harder than normal but not unbearable if you take it off right away.

tom4444
08-15-2004, 03:30 PM
I`ve heard great things about the durability of the Klasse twins, but my car never goes long enough without some kind of wax or sealant coating for me to confirm that:lmfao

thinksnow
08-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by MattZ28
I`d try topping with a different wax for the winter, like Meguiar`s #16 or Collinite. If you really want to try a different sealant for the winter, I`d go with the Klasse twins, or Zaino.

Yes, yes. Yes, and yes. Do you have a garage or access to one? Doing the occasional QEW will be easier on the protectant of choice (read: last through the winter) than the more convenient but ultra-harsh touchless wash.

rabbi
08-15-2004, 03:51 PM
I did the AIO + 18/23 coats of UPP on mine. I was very impressed with the results.

thinksnow
08-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Is 18/23 almost one complete coat, or did you actually increase the length and width of your car?

Originally posted by rabbi
I did the AIO + 18/23 coats of UPP on mine. I was very impressed with the results.

NYV6Coupe
08-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your responses.

Yes, I have a garage to work in but, unfortunately, it`s not heated. If the weather allows me adequate temps for hand washing, an additional protectant can be applied at that time.

If, however, the weather does not comply with my needs, then I have to rely on whatever protection I was able to apply before the weather turned & the temps dropped.

Whatever`s on there (it`s EX-P right now) potentially could be asked to last & protect for 3 to 5 months through salt, snow, and ice.

Based on what I`ve read, AIO & SG sound like fine products that should be used on perfect or near-perfect paint surfaces and my Accord does not fit the near-perfect status.

UPP sounds like a great choice for silver metallic but is it more durable than EX-P?

Thanks

Boss_429
08-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi NYV6Coupe,

I see you live out there in the "lake affect snow belt"..................... you sure do need some protection! :D

Anyhow, the EX-P and UPP are both pretty durable products. Un-maintaned (this is the case up here in winters in the NE), you should get 2 to 3 months from a couple or coats of either. Even if the don`t last 4 to 5 months, you`ll still see a better paint finish come spring because of the inital protection.

For what it`s worth, I applied some of the test version of the EX-P last winter on a 40 degree January day. The drying time wasn`t bad at all.................. I think humidity plays a bigger role. So, if you`ve got a garage, and you can get the paint fairly clean, you should be able to top with another coat of EX-P.

I don`t have the lastest version of UPP, and I understand it`s drying time is greatly reduced from the version I have, so the UPP may also work under those conditions.

NYV6Coupe
08-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Hey boss, thanks for replying. Are you from the Carslyle area?

Yup, I`m at the northern edge of the Western New York snow belt. Problem is sometimes we get almost as much salt laid-down as we get inches of snow. I think the plow drivers get paid according to how many tons of salt they put down .... per mile.

I just ordered some UPP & UGE from Autogeek, taking advantage of the 15% saving.

I`m a complete novice when it comes to polymer protectants, I`ve stayed away from them `cause my buddy`s a painter & he`s always talking about the problems he has working around these products when redoing a panel.

Gotta do something, the car`s just too nice to let WNY winters turn it into another rusty krap-wagon.

Boss_429
08-15-2004, 05:30 PM
NYV6Coupe,

Nope, I`m up by Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. We have a similar salt problems as you in the winter. Although, not quite as bad as yours I`m sure! :D

Yes, most painters would prefer that you don`t put "anything" on the paint! :( It does create additional prep work to remove everything out of all the crevices for a good paint job.

awd330
08-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Unless the person lives in the southern hemisphere, no one will be able to answer your question about EX-P`s winter durability. The production version just came out in late February of this year. I applied it at that time, and the finish remained slick and glossy until late June. This was for garaged cars maintained with regular washings and quick details.

Like Boss 429, I also tested the prototype version of EX-P last winter. I used it from late November through late February, and it was still going strong when I stripped it for my big Spring detailing effort.

My plan for this winter is to use EX-P x2 (or EX x2 depending upon the color) and then top with a carnauba wax. When weather permits, I will just wash and apply additional layers of the carnauba. I feel confident that this regiment will take me through the winter with no problems.

Don
08-15-2004, 06:45 PM
I plan on putting 2 coats of Megs #20, then following up with a few coats of NXT. Weather permitting, I will probably put on my car`s "winter coat" in mid-late October.

I detailed my parent`s 1996 Caprice almost 2 months ago and used 2 coats of #20 as the topper. They are not very car oriented, so maintanence on the finish is minimal, but the #20 is still beading like a champ.

shotime
08-15-2004, 07:30 PM
This year I`m using a couple coats of Klasse SG followed by 2 coats of Collinite Insulator wax. I also started using this for the tops of trucks/SUVs that are a PITA to take care of.

NYV6Coupe
08-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Hi awd330 & everyone, thanks for your comments & suggestions

I wasn`t aware that EX-P was a relatively new product. Based on awd330`s and boss_429`s experiences is sounds like EX-P will work out well even if the weather limits me to doing nothing
beyond washing for months at a time.

I expect to continue doing what I can, whenever I can, as the weather permits.