PDA

View Full Version : Makita 9227C - missing parts?

TortoiseAWD
05-12-2003, 10:17 AM
For you Makita users:

I received my new Makita rotary on Friday (still haven`t had a chance to use it yet). The instructions mention a locking nut and a hex wrench that are used to attach the backing plate. I have neither the locking nut nor the hex wrench. Did I misread the instructions, and the nut and wrench are for an optional backing plate (I`m using the 7" plate that came with the machine)? Or am I missing parts?

FWIW, I can mount the plate with no problem using the spindle lock on the machine. From what I can tell, the direction of spin on the rotary is against the thread direction of the plate, so it is "self-tightening". Is this the intent? Or, do I need to get on the horn to Coastal Tool for some replacement parts?

Thanks for any info,

Tort

BradE
05-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Not sure on the Makita, but my DeWalt did come with a wrench for backing plate.

TortoiseAWD
05-12-2003, 03:43 PM
I suppose I should have done this to start with . . . I checked Makita`s website to see if they had an 800 number for tech questions, and they do. I spoke to a helpful gentleman that confirmed my suspicions: no tools are needed for this backing plate. The thread is counter to the direction of rotation of the machine, so there shouldn`t be an issue with it coming loose.

I`m going to go re-examine the instructions (again), but I swear there was a section on attaching the plate using a hex wrench and a locking nut of some sort . . .

:nixweiss

Tort

Tim Lingor
05-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Hey,

The Makita does not come with the hex nut and plate as those are options. It does come with the the velcro backing plate, however. You do not use the optional nut and plate as that is designed for either sanding or the tie on style of wool bonnets(those tie ons are junk IMHO!) Use the spindle lock and the supplied velcro backing plate.

I hope this helps!

Tim

WRXedUSA
05-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Yep, its just like the Sioux. Spin it in the opposite direction to lock the backing plate on the thread..

Shoulda asked Scott??