PDA

View Full Version : GF braised wooden post, help on cleanup of truck

godofthunder
05-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Ok yall, GF just moved, and when trying to get out of driveway, slid along a wooden fence post (for a fence coming up).

We drove it to McDonalds, and got out the truck. For some reason it looked more like stuff was on the truck, rather than a deep scraatch, so i used some saliva (only thing at the time, truck is already filthy and needs help) and wiped off a ton of stuff.

I was thinking of claying the area. I personally was going to detail the truck, but due to some swirls on the hood, were taking it to a pro friend of hers.

I was thinking of claying the area along the door. Then, we would take it dirrectly to the detailer (well, put some touch up on the actuall scratches too).

Do yall think claying is a good idea? :nixweiss I was thinking so, to get most of the stuff off, thats on there good. Any other ideas for this? We first thought it needed to be repainted, but doenst look so now. Just currious

Jon

godofthunder
05-12-2003, 08:54 AM
No one?

If this isnt the proper way to go, what is?

Jon

Accumulator
05-12-2003, 11:06 AM
godofthunder - My late father tended to do something similar upon occasion and I had great results with clay. As long as the problem was something transferred ONTO the vehicle`s paint, the clay was all it took. BTW, I`d clay the area in question BEFORE taking it to a pro, removing anything that`s actually on top of the truck`s paint. You just never know if the method the pro will use (such as an extra-aggressive pass with a rotary) is in your best interest.

godofthunder
05-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Well, luckily we know the Pro, and my GF is friends with his wife. She had her change the oil today, and talked to the hubby (the pro detailer).

he said that it didnt look bad at all (truck was somewhat clean from week of rain), and the scratch he did see could be buffed out. I was thinking (since the truck doesnt really have any wax on it now) of just claying what i did still see before we take it.

Also, we need to make an appt for the end of the month. I think I may do this tommorow, b.c I am curruous of what products he uses (says he applies Glaze and Sealant by machine). From some of his work, it looks REally nice, and knowing him personall will help too.

Jon