PDA

View Full Version : Boxster Detailing Day & Menzerna PO-73 preview

Pages : [1] 2

BoxsterCharlie
05-11-2003, 08:45 AM
Our local group did a detailing day yesterday and I`m pretty exhausted. I did bits and pieces of about 5 cars, starting with a 911 Cabriolet and ending with a super-thorough detail on a black Boxster S.

The final car was a trip--a challenge in black! I wanted to give it the maximum single-day effort, so we washed, clayed, polished. Then we did 1 layer of AIO and 2 layers SG. We could have done a much better job, but it came out great considering the time limitations.

http://home.attbi.com/~charlesgordon/DSCN3865_small.jpg

Then for the hood we got to try a comparision of my favorite stuff (Pinnacle Souveran paste) vs. Menzerna PO-73, a new wax from Menzerna which is not even sold in the US yet (I got a sample from the distributor). Keep in mind these were applied on decent but not perfect "klasse-twins" prepped surfaces.

To my amazement, no one could really tell the visual difference between the two! Depth? It has it! The Menzerna (on the right--driver`s side) was easier to apply and remove, and seems highly compatible with Klasse. It supposedly is a synthetic AND carnuaba-based product. You can bet I`m going to be ordering a supply of PO-73 and reviewing it thoroughly in the next couple of months! I am very impressed with the product.

http://home.attbi.com/~charlesgordon/DSCN3867_small.jpg

More pictures here (http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1828)

PerfectionDetailing
05-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Great pics charlie. How do you like the souveran pinnacle wax? I am planning to buy the pinnacle kit from CMA.

hazman
05-11-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie:

Our local group did a detailing day yesterday and I`m pretty exhausted. I did bits and pieces of about 5 cars, starting with a 911 Cabriolet and ending with a super-thorough detail on a black Boxster S.

The final car was a trip--a challenge in black! I wanted to give it the maximum single-day effort, so we washed, clayed, polished. Then we did 1 layer of AIO and 2 layers SG. We could have done a much better job, but it came out great considering the time limitations.

All that in a day! Truly remarkable, man!:bow Though, i have to say that I wouldn`t mind at all doing that much detailing in a day if I were to work on 5 Porsches, myself!

BTW, how long did you have to wait before putting on your second layer of SG on the Boxster?

BoxsterCharlie
05-11-2003, 09:09 AM
We did the yellow Boxster with only Souveran...and it came out fantastic. Pinnacle is definitely my favorite carnuaba, but it is followed very closely by P21S (aka S100 in Harley shops) and Collinite (which is a "sleeper" product you seldom hear of here).

BoxsterCharlie
05-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by bacon

[BTW, how long did you have to wait before putting on your second layer of SG on the Boxster? [/B]

Well, that`s just it...we didn`t wait! :rolleyes:

I explained to everyone that what I was doing was actually supposed to take place over a couple weeks, with 2 layers of AIO and maybe 8 layers of SG prior to topping.

But for the limited time we had...and the sun baking (ouch) on black paint I was pretty happy with the results!

58fury
05-11-2003, 10:03 AM
:xyxthumbs nice job!!!

imported_jgv
05-11-2003, 04:47 PM
As some of you remember, I`ve mentioned this PO73 "sealant" wax some time ago. I even noticed it`s similarity with Klasse AIO, and sent a sample to someone in the US to test it. Conclusions? very close to AIO, less cleaning abilities, though. Same smell, same look, same easy application way.

Oh, yes, Menzerna calls it `sealant wax`.

I have a 1Kg bottle.

BoxsterCharlie
05-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Yes, JGV, we emailed a couple months ago and you were very nice to offer to send me some. I ended up getting a free sample from the new US distributor and I may do a group buy for US-based Autopians.

I feel this sealant is quite a bit different from AIO. First of all, if you heat it you can see yellow carnuaba comes right out of the base. It is the only product I know of to combine carnuaba and polymer--and I think it pulls it off amazingly well. Secondly, it drys much thicker than AIO.

My preliminary impressions are that it is a bit too tough to remove if it is the only product used. But when applied on top of AIO or SG it seems to get to another level!

hazman
05-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie

Well, that`s just it...we didn`t wait! :rolleyes:

I explained to everyone that what I was doing was actually supposed to take place over a couple weeks, with 2 layers of AIO and maybe 8 layers of SG prior to topping.

But for the limited time we had...and the sun baking (ouch) on black paint I was pretty happy with the results!

Didn`t you get any streaking from the SG?

ksquared
05-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Just finished detailing my new (to me) `02 996 Silver Targa using Pinnacle Clay, 2 AIO, 3 SG and 2 Souveran (wish i had time for more topping before driving). The results were outstanding (pics to come). It`s really hard to see if the SG is working / streaking until you get the next coat on (can only imagine what 8 coats will do). I found that waiting a day between coats is best. The third app of SG was much better than the second (2 hrs 1st coat to 2nd, 24hrs 2nd coat to 3rd). Then when you apply a nice wax, the layering is noticeable. AIO was applied with a random orbital. SG was applied by hand (SG much easier to buff than AIO). The other tip that seemed to work well was applying Final Inspection to my towel when removing the AIO. Much easier to buff and the finish took on a deeper quality.

Question ... when detailing again in ~6mos ... would you recommend the entire process again ... Clay, AIO, SG, Top Coat ?

K2

ksquared
05-12-2003, 08:42 AM
btw ... nice pics Charlie ... those are great results from a hard days work !

k2

Magellan498
05-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Doesn`t EX combine carnuaba and polymer? I could have sworn I heard that... :nixweiss

BoxsterCharlie
05-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ksquared

Question ... when detailing again in ~6mos ... would you recommend the entire process again ... Clay, AIO, SG, Top Coat ?

K2

I try to avoid the whole drill more than once a year, but I ended up doing it twice because of a concours last year. No question, though, that if you really want the best look you have to keep at it. I`m just hoping that switching to Menzerna will allow me to keep topping that out each time with less Klasse rework.

And yes, streaking was an issue. Had to use lots of QD spray to finish the job.

Any pictures of the Targa? What a neat car!

Spilchy
05-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie

We did the yellow Boxster with only Souveran...and it came out fantastic. Pinnacle is definitely my favorite carnuaba, but it is followed very closely by P21S (aka S100 in Harley shops) and Collinite (which is a "sleeper" product you seldom hear of here).

I`ve sung the praises of Collinite here. It works great on protecting non-garaged cars for extended periods of time.

ksquared
05-12-2003, 12:02 PM
C-

Will have pics soon. At the shop having side skirts installed and turbo tips. Something to set it off from the other 996s without going to the full Aero (My POV ... tail destroys the lines). The service tech was totally surprised when I told him not to wash the car. He responded ... there will be finger prints on the car ! I said ... exactly. Curious to see how well the Souveran performs with oily fingers.

K2-