PDA

View Full Version : Applying Carnuba Wax over Zaino... ???

bimmerman11
05-10-2003, 10:41 PM
I have 5 coats of Zaino on my `03 Titanium Silver 330Ci. I`m happy with the results but I REALLY want to get that DEEP, WET, SHINY, MIRROR look with my car.

I read all of the reviews on carnuba waxes and I`m leaning towards getting some PINNACLE PASTE GLAZ. Pinnacle Souveran and P21S Carnuba Paste Wax are also in consideration.

Here are my MAIN QUESTIONS:

1) Is it safe to use any of these carnuba waxes on top of Zaino?

2) Do I need to PREP the SURFACE with any other products before applying carnuba wax on top of the existing layers of Zaino?

3) What type of Quick Detail Spray should I use in between coats of carnuba wax? Is this even necessary?

4) Can I apply Zaino on top of the carnuba wax or do I have to remove the carnuba before reapplying Zaino?

5) *** Which carnuba wax gives the BEST RESULTS (DEEP, WET, GLOSSY) on a TITANIUM SILVER car? *** This is CRITICAL!

I`d appreciate hearing from silver car owners since they can probably relate to my circumstances a little easier. Pics would be a big BONUS.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

chrisd
05-10-2003, 11:00 PM
1) Yes, although Sal Zaino says it`s a waste of time (I disagree...I put Souveran over Z3 and it helped). Problem I found is that Zaino is so slick, the Souveran didn`t stick really well.

2) No

3) I use Pinnacle Crystal Mist

4) You have to remove the carnuba or wait for it to wear off (which isn`t too long). Zaino won`t bond to wax.

5) Carnubas generally don`t help much on light-colored cars like silver. See [url]http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/whichwaxisbest.html for more info on this.

Hope this helps

Nick T.
05-11-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by bimmerman11

Here are my MAIN QUESTIONS:

1) Is it safe to use any of these carnuba waxes on top of Zaino?

2) Do I need to PREP the SURFACE with any other products before applying carnuba wax on top of the existing layers of Zaino?

3) What type of Quick Detail Spray should I use in between coats of carnuba wax? Is this even necessary?

4) Can I apply Zaino on top of the carnuba wax or do I have to remove the carnuba before reapplying Zaino?

*** Which carnuba wax gives the BEST RESULTS (DEEP, WET, GLOSSY) on a TITANIUM SILVER car? *** This is CRITICAL!1) Yes

2) No, just make sure that it’s clean

3) I like Pinnacle Crystal Mist

4) Zaino will not bond to carnauba or oils so the wax must be removed or allowed to wear off

5) There is no best. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I’m a recovering Zainoholic (30+ coats), but awhile back I started experimenting with various toppings on the Zaino. P21S, Souverän, S100, and a couple of Zymöls that I had lying around. I found P21S and S100 to be indistinguishable, so my experimenting settled on using P21S and Souverän. What worked best for me to to make sure that the initial coats of carnauba were very thin, and should be allowed to haze before wiping. I also experimented with some synthetics.

Now I’m in the process of working on section of the car at a time; stripping everything off, dealing with all the micro-marring, adding 3-4 layers of PUPP, then topping with multiple thin layers of P21S, Souverän, or S100 in combination. With the application method that I’m using I can’t detect any difference in the final appearance with any of these pastes.

As always, YMMV!

JimS
05-11-2003, 08:43 AM
I`m using Poorboy`s EX. It`s a sealant/carnuba wax combination.

bimmerman11
05-11-2003, 12:27 PM
I`ve just recently been reading about Poorboy`s EX. What is it, where can I buy it, and how much does it cost?

Do you use EX as a topper or do you use it first and then top it with something else?

Remember that I already have 5 coats of Zaino on my car and want to top it with some carnuba wax/waxes to get a DEEPER, WETTER shine.

Thank you.

Marc

bimmerman11
05-11-2003, 05:24 PM
and some Crystal Mist Carnauba Spray.

What else do I need?

Would Poorboy`s EX make any improvements prior to applying the Pinnacle Paste Glaz?

Marc

chrisd
05-12-2003, 12:42 AM
For Poorboy`s, see

http://www.poorboysworld.com/

bimmerman11
05-12-2003, 12:55 AM
but I really wanted to know if applying Poorboy`s EX before applying PPG would make any visual improvements.

I really want that deep, wet shine that I`ve seen on other silver cars in this website.

Marc