PDA

View Full Version : My Dad Is Crazy (pix)

Magellan498
05-10-2003, 02:11 PM
Well I have just gotten a new car and we are dealing with some repair issues. But my father is VERY cheap. First off there is a buffer burn on the right side mirror he thinks he can fix with some touch-up paint. Then there`s this big rusted out gash on the bottom back drivers side near the wheel and he plans on fixing it with "Bond-o". I just don`t know what to do with him... Here are the pics.

Magellan498
05-10-2003, 02:14 PM
And the gash...

meGrimlock
05-12-2003, 09:52 AM
Don`t know about the buffer burn, but the best way to fix that rust spot without welding is to cut about 1/2 inch of metal off around the hole, and patch with fiberglass.

C. Charles Hahn
05-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

Well, its your car right? If you don`t like you dad`s proposed fixes then why don`t you pay to have it fixed how you want it fixed?

my sentiments exactly.

MegaMan
05-12-2003, 11:48 AM
Hello,

Since the burn is on the mirror... That really makes it easy and I think pretty cheap to fix.. Just remove the mirror and bring it to your paint shop (usually about $30-$40 a mirror for me).

Another option might be trying to replace the clear coat if that is all that has been damaged. There is a company that sells a product meant to fill in an area where you have clear coat chipping off.

Damon

Nagchampa
05-12-2003, 01:20 PM
The gash at the bottom is such an easy fix, I couldn`t see it costing over $100 to fix. Just get the shop to cut out the rust, weld new metal in the hole, grind it down, then prime the repair. You can then buy some rocker guard or trim paint and re-spray the panel.

For the mirror, go to a paint supply store and get them to whip up a spray bomb to match the paint code. Also get a spray bomb of clear coat. Remove the mirror and scuff the paint with some comet and the rough side of a kitchen sponge. Just do it just enough to remove the shine. Wash the mirror thoroughly and wipe it down with some denatured alcohol. Find a large cardboard box to use as a makeshift spray booth and get busy. Try to use several thin coats as opposed to few thick coats. After spraying the clear, you might need to wetsand but the mirror will probably look better than the rest of the car at this point.

Magellan498
05-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I would take it to get the gash fixed as well as the mirror or even try it myself, but I have NO money... :( I won`t even be driving it for a while either, but when I do get the car for good, I`m sure gonna do alot to it. I just hope he doesn`t inflict too much damage in the mean time.

meGrimlock
05-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Oh, and what kind of car might it be??

Magellan498
05-12-2003, 03:44 PM
The Miata in the picture... He`s just driving it for the time being, but later I get it for good.

meGrimlock
05-12-2003, 04:59 PM
You know when I first read the title to this thread, I thought of the Eminem song "My Dad`s Gone Crazy" on "The Eminem Show" CD. Hearing Haley in the background say "I think my dad`s gone crazy" cracks me up every time.

Spilchy
05-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by IndigoGTI

You know when I first read the title to this thread, I thought of the Eminem song "My Dad`s Gone Crazy" on "The Eminem Show" CD. Hearing Haley in the background say "I think my dad`s gone crazy" cracks me up every time.

You nut! :lol :lol :lol How funny!