PDA

View Full Version : Zaino Amplifies Swirls???!!!

Rednsxe
05-10-2003, 04:59 AM
I just read in one of the threads that Zaino amplifies the swirls. Is that true...What i read was that Zaino Z5 helps hides the swirls before application of Z2/Z3

raymond_ho2002
05-10-2003, 05:04 AM
5 coats of Z5 didn`t do anything for even the tiniest swirls for me. And these are swirls that can only be seen in direct sunlight. If it can`t do anything for those marks, it probably won`t make a dent in much of anything else, either. Carguy has posted a very comprehensive comparison against meguiar`s gold class. here`s the link:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/

kempie
05-10-2003, 07:43 AM
I used a PC W/3M SMR and it got out a lot of the swirl marks but not all. 3 coats of Z5 w/ZFX eliminated the rest of the swirl marks. It worked just as advertised for me.

imported_memnuts
05-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Prep, Prep, Prep!!!!

All protectants will show poor prep. Some just hide this requirement better. When I used Zaino I applied over 70+ coats of Z5 and Z2 ( car ( garage queen) washed maybe 3 times during this period). Conclusion: Zaino was not the problem. My excitement to apply it lead me to short-cut the prep stages and the Dawn wash removed any "make-up" that was hiding the true condition of my finish. If you prep meticulously and remove as many surface imperfect that is within your skill and tools the Zaino system will look great. This is essential for all protectants but more so for Zaino. I also believe a proper prep will lead to a better initial gloss and especially depth of finish. All leading to not only a shiny vehicle but also a rich, wet, swimming pools deep appearing paint. :wavey

Nick T.
05-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Swirls become visible in bright light because of the reflection from the edges of the scratches. Think of each swirl as being a very small V cut into the paint. Protectants that contain oils and/or fillers change the diffraction of the light from these Vs and reduce the visibility of the swirls. Zaino contains no oils/fillers, has great clarity, and great reflectivity - all of which adds up to increasing the visibility of each and every minor micro-mar on the paint. Don’t count of Z-5 to hide any of your swirls. It takes many layers of Z-5 before you see any swirl hiding - even on light colors!

blkZ28Conv hit the nail on the head - paint prep is far more important when using Zaino than with any other system! Once you have a few layers of Zaino on your paint it is far more difficult to deal with the micro-marring than it would have been if you’d done it before the Zaino. If you don’t want to put in the necessary preparation work before adding your protectant, then you might be happier using a different protectant product.

Good luck and have fun!

Rednsxe
05-11-2003, 03:30 AM
I guess Zaino isn`t the way if your car has enough hard to remove swirls. The best way to go would be polish and glaze to fill-in the swirls

imported_memnuts
05-11-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Rednsxe

I guess Zaino isn`t the way if your car has enough hard to remove swirls. The best way to go would be polish and glaze to fill-in the swirls

Not really. Do not be overwhelmed by our discussion of prep. If you Prep, everything will be okay. Do you have a buffer? If so,start with the Meg #1 and #2 and follow with 3M Perefect-It III Machine Glaze (SMR). This should be the minimum no matter what protectant you choose. Follow with NickT`s instructions on ridding surface of any contaminates prior to Zaino application. There is no getting around a proper Prep. Take your time. Do a panel at a time. Enjoy the experience. It is very rewarding and as you proceed it becomes easier. This may take a whole weekend but in the end you will only have to do this long task maybe every 6 months ( Spring and Fall) when using proper washing and QD`ing techniques. As time goes on you will consider some sort of paint cleansing/ mild polishing as routine as washing your vehicle..

We are very "anal" here at Autopia about detailing. What we call "swirl amplification" is probably not even notice by the majority of car owners. I will admit I see things now in my paint I did not before coming here. I also have learned how to correct them. :wavey