PDA

View Full Version : swirl removal WITHOUT filling with oils.

Pages : [1] 2

Hawkeye_TDI
05-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Is there actually a product which will remove swirls without using a filler? It seems to me that this product, if it exists would be the most preferable for sealants like Zaino and Bf. Any glaze or filler will eventually evaporate revealing the swirl it was filling. Zaino will amplify this defect while wax and or GEPC will hide it.

Does anyone know of such a product?

For instance, SMR has some fillers. It seems to me that after a few washes (with Zaino on top) the swirls reappear. I use the anal method of washing 2 pails, yada, yada, yada.

Any ideads?

Bruce

Mmmph
05-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Take a look at Menzerna Final Polish.

I`m testing it out and initial results are encouraging. I should have more time to work with it next week. It`s available from Autopia and CMA.

http://www.autopia.org/review/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=0688de393ebd574c623af3d09acd425e&cmd=details&itemid=249

imported_sjk95161
05-10-2003, 12:29 AM
You may also want to look at 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze. Geekysteve wrote an interesting review some time back. I`ll be comparing PI III MG and Menzerna Intensive Polish in the next few weeks. Both have good reports.

imported_memnuts
05-10-2003, 05:35 AM
You have a very interesting situation Bruce. If the swirls are returning after several washes because it appears the fillers in the SMR you are using has disappeared where is the Zaino that should be "locking" these fillers in. Either the Zaino is not bonding well with the SMR product or regimen you are using, the Zaino is wearing away after a few washes ( doubtful) or you are creating new swirls, even with proper washing technique, in the Zaino protective layer. I too found it hard to maintain a swirl-free with Zaino even though the finish seemed well protected ( tight beading).

I believe that Zaino is very prone to surface marring during washing and QD`ing even with the best of precautions. :nixweiss

If you have not tried the 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze it might be worth a try. I love this stuff and it is suppose to eliminate swirls rather than fill them. Very easy to work with using a PC. :xyxthumbs

TortoiseAWD
05-10-2003, 07:14 AM
Yet another vote for 3M PIII Machine Glaze . . . :up I`ve found it to be almost as agressive as Finesse-It II, and much, much easier to use with a PC.

From the front of the bottle: "Swirl mark remover (non-filling)"

Tort

Nick T.
05-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Any compound, polish, cleaner combination can remove all of the swirls. The problem is that the fillers/oils hide the remaining marring. After using your final cleaner/polish do a good wash with a detergent to get rid of all fillers/oils and do a close inspection - using an obsession light if you have one, or in direct sunlight if you don’t. If there is any micro-marring remaining, then polish and wash again.

It would be convenient if there were filler/oil free products with the aggressiveness of SMR and GEPC, but there isn’t a very large market for these products. Out of the millions of car owners, there are very few that demand a swirl free surface. Most don’t care, and many are content with just hiding the swirls. Those of us who want to remove the swirls rather than hiding them are a relatively small group of <S>a</S><S>nal wierdos</S> appearance hobbyists - not a very large market.

Putting Zaino on top of any product that contains fillers and oils can be tricky. The residual oils from the SMR, GEPC, etc. must be removed or the Zaino won’t bond and the marring will reappear. If you’re too aggressive in removing the oils, then you will also remove the fillers. What has given me the best results is to spritz the newly glazed area with a mild Z-7 solution and wipe it off, then repeat with Z-6. Then top with at least two layers of Zaino with either accelerator (Z-1 or ZFX). Even this doesn’t always work!

With Zaino (actually with any protectant) the best results will come from getting rid of (not hiding) all surface marring.

Re-Lax
05-10-2003, 09:50 AM
This is where things get weird for me. The is so much overlapping usage of terms that it gets confusing. A product that is labeld as a glaze does not leave fillers? That`s exactly what a glaze is. It fills in swirls, not removes them like an abrasive. I`m not saying you guys are wrong who say that machine glaze removes swilrs, since I have never used it, but the descriptions on this post of what this product does are contrary to what a glaze does. I`m confused.:nixweiss

Nick T.
05-10-2003, 10:10 AM
3M`s machine glazes contain abrasives as well as fillers. In my experience IHG is the only "glaze" that is abrassive free.

pingable
05-10-2003, 10:42 AM
I believe Menzerna`s Final Polish has no fillers.

When I spoke with CMA about the 3M SMR vs. Menzerna`s Final Polish, I was told that while Final Polish has no fillers, it`s alot more abrasive when compared to 3M SMR.

imported_memnuts
05-10-2003, 11:11 AM
hubris63,

Join the club. Unfortunately, many manufacturers interchange the word glaze with polish for products that contain both oils, fillers, abrasive or all. One must investigate the product to see what function(s) it performs.

Examples:

3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze is a polish with very little oil content but very fine abrasives and no fillers. Perfect for an SMR for us "anal" hobbist. ;)

Mother`s Sealer and Glaze is a glaze with oils, fillers and solvents

3M IHG is a glaze with oils, fillers and solvents

Megiuar`s #9 is a glaze with mild abrasives, oil, fillers and solvents.

My point is that the word "glaze" has many meanings ( per manufactures) from its probable original definition. :wavey

Malibu
05-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Another product to try would be Einszett Paint Polish. It is supposed to not contain any oils or fillers, and removes the swirls, rather than fill them in. I used it for the first time last weekend and I loved it. Very, very easy to use, removes swirls and oxidation quickly, and the gloss it leaves behind is the best I have seen after using an abrasive. I like it better than my old favorite, 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (which is still a fantastic product). I believe that the PI-III is a bit more aggressive though.

Mike

imported_memnuts
05-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks Malibu,

That Einszett Paint Polish sounds like something I will like trying to add to my multi-step polish routine.

Finish with PI-III Machine Glaze, Einszett Paint Polish ( from your description less aggressive the PI-III MG) and conclude with P21S GEPC. :xyxthumbs

What is the product # and exact name please.

Malibu
05-10-2003, 03:30 PM
blkZ28 -

Here is the link to it at the Autopia Store: Einszett Paint Polish (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/eipapo.html). I do believe that it is less aggressive than the 3M PI-III (although I don`t think all that much less aggressive), however, the gloss and ease of use is definitely superior (and I consider the PI-III MG excellent in both these respects). It`d make a great step between the 3M and P21S. :up Although, on most of the cars I do, I think I will be using it as a replacement for the 3M.

Mike

Nick T.
05-10-2003, 04:04 PM
The following was copied from the EinsZett USA (http://www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/paintwork/) web site:

Metallic Polish

Metallic is designed for use on all types of paint finishes including new cars and paintwork that is well treated with very minor surface issues. Cleaning action safely dissolves the toughest surface grime while conditioning oils produce unmatched depth and gloss that enhances the paintwork.

<font color=red>Abrasive Level: Low</font>

Paint Polish

General purpose polish for lightly oxidized paintwork in good condition. Cleans, polishes and protects in one application with a film and streak-free finish. Reduces swirl marks. Provides a weather-resistant seal. Delivers a shine which lasts for months. Special silicone ensures long-lasting gloss.

<font color=red>Abrasive Level: Moderate</font>

Ultra Paint Polish

Aggressive cleaner for dull and weathered paintwork with aggressive polishing action. Removes oxidized paint layers and light scratches and restores depth of color. Cleans and protects. With weather-resistant protective agents and a streak-free result. Special silicone ensures a long-lasting shine. Not recommended for use on new cars.

<font color=red>Abrasive Level: High</font>

It appears that all three of their polishes contain oils and/or fillers.

imported_memnuts
05-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys.:bow

Malibu, Easier than 3M PI-III MG. WOW!!

Nick,

a little filling and oil will be okay for me. I just desire now too alleviate this filling to the bear minimum.

Black will always need some sort of make-up on a driven vehicle.;)