PDA

View Full Version : claymagic lube and #9

gnahc79
05-09-2003, 09:36 AM
I got to thinking (uh oh :) ) about why I had so much difficulty with #9 a couple weeks ago on my car (01 Accord) and an Integra GSR. After claying a car using the claymagic bar and lube I used some #9 on some swirls. Taking the stuff off was much much harder than usual. I know I added some light scratches to my car as a result.

Do claymagic lube and #9 not mix? I used mother`s clay with FI and #9 just fine before. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. :nixweiss

huggybear
05-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Claymagics body shine 49 is mostly isopropyl alcohol...

gnahc79
05-09-2003, 10:29 AM
oh, didn`t know that. Does this mean I would have to wash off the claymagic lube before a polish or #9? Dang, I might just save myself the trouble and just stick with the Mother`s kit. You can never have too much Mother`s QD :D.

Mr. Clean
05-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by gnahc79

...just stick with the Mother`s kit. You can never have too much Mother`s QD :D.

:xyxthumbs Great stuff that Showtime. I prefer the Mothers clay vs the ClayMagic. The ClayMagic sticks to everything, my hands mostly.

shaf
05-09-2003, 01:13 PM
I`m not sure what the problem could have been. Clay Magic Body Shine is less than 2% alcohol. Like most QDs it`s mostly water. Besides, after you`re done claying any liquids would have evaporated off. Other than claying with CM, are you doing anything else different than the last time you used #9 (if anything)?

huggybear
05-09-2003, 01:39 PM
4DSC when i spoke with an automagic rep and he said it was something like 48% alcohol. Not saying your wrong, but i dont see why he would lie to me... i dunno. Very strange.

I like Megs Final Detail for my lube.

*gulp* I`ve smelled 49 and it doesnt smell like 48% alcohol and ive read the MSDS sheet and it says <2%. So im confused.

gnahc79
05-09-2003, 01:48 PM
hmm. I`m washing my car and detailing another car today. I`ll try out the following on a panel:

-mother`s wash

-A) CM clay & lube

B) CM clay & FI

C) CM clay & showtime

-some #9

4DSC, on my previous use of #9 I used the mother`s clay and FI on a SLK and bimmer.

shaf
05-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Calestus

4DSC when i spoke with an automagic rep and he said it was something like 48% alcohol. Not saying your wrong, but i dont see why he would lie to me... i dunno. Very strange.

I like Megs Final Detail for my lube.

*gulp* I`ve smelled 49 and it doesnt smell like 48% alcohol and ive read the MSDS sheet and it says <2%. So im confused. Yeah the MSDS is what I`m going by, and the QDs I`ve used don`t reek like they`d have a lot of alcohol or anything else. 48% sounds really high.... I think at that concentration it`d make Body Shine a good wax stripper. Wierd. :confused:

Good luck gnahc79, still not sure what the problem is... maybe #9 doesn`t like Body Shine, but you`d think we would`ve heard of this happening before.

imported_jgv
05-09-2003, 05:08 PM
A 50/50 alcohol/water solution is what I use to clean polish residues. A QD like that would kill someones work! It`d strip any sealant/wax.

The guy who told you that didn`t know what he was talking about.