PDA

View Full Version : Is SMR a glaze or an abrasive?

milani
05-09-2003, 08:28 AM
I bought a bottle of SMR yesterday, and it has the word GLAZE all over the bottle. I looked at the 3M web site and they refer to it as a Glazing product in their "Solutions for the enthusiast - Swirl Marks" web page. http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/aad/solutions/ent_swirl.jhtml

Is it really a glaze, hiding the swirl marks, or is it abrasive enough to remove them? :nixweiss The directions say to apply it to a soft terry towel and then buff in a circular motion until the SMR is gone. Is this the best way to apply? I was planning to use a up/down , then side to side motion with a foam pad by hand. Help!!!:confused:

Nick T.
05-09-2003, 09:16 AM
A few months ago I was wondering the same thing - so I put some small scratches in a test area and compared SMR, GEPC, and IHG, checking the results with a 10X magnifier. IHG did no rounding of the edges and a lot of filling, GEPC did a little rounding and a moderate amount of filling, SMR did a lot of rounding and a little filling.

In my experience hand application of SMR will leave a little hazing and should be followed by a finer cleaner/polish such as GEPC.

Good luck and have fun!

imported_Intermezzo
05-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by milani

Is it really a glaze, hiding the swirl marks, or is it abrasive enough to remove them?

The term glaze when used here on Autopia is different from the industry definition of the word glaze. The product is definitely abrasive and will do a good job removing LIGHT surface imperfections. As Nick said, it will also do a little filling as well.

Originally posted by milani

The directions say to apply it to a soft terry towel and then buff in a circular motion until the SMR is gone. Is this the best way to apply? I was planning to use a up/down , then side to side motion with a foam pad by hand. Help!!!

Experiment and see what works best for you. I get best results using a PC, but when applied by hand, I usually get the best results when using a folded, dampened terry-cloth towel. When applied with a small foam applicator, I get a little hazing or micro-swirls because you`re applying it with your fingers (i.e. uneven pressure).

Hawkeye_TDI
05-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Is there actually a product which will remove swirls without using a filler? It seems to me that this product, if it exists would be the most preferable for sealants like Zaino and Bf. Any glaze or filler will eventually evaporate revealing the swirl it was filling. Zaino will amplify this defect while wax and or GEPC will hide it.

Does anyone know of such a product?

imported_BretFraz
05-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Peter

Is there actually a product which will remove swirls without using a filler? It seems to me that this product, if it exists would be the most preferable for sealants like Zaino and Bf. Any glaze or filler will eventually evaporate revealing the swirl it was filling. Zaino will amplify this defect while wax and or GEPC will hide it.

Does anyone know of such a product?

Off the top I`d say Meguiar`s DACP would do the trick. So would 3M PI3 machine glaze (there`s that word...)

Prior to Zaino I use DACP then SEPC. I then wash the car which removes fillers and oils. There are no swirls to be seen.

Hawkeye_TDI
05-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Off the top I`d say Meguiar`s DACP would do the trick. So would 3M PI3 machine glaze (there`s that word...)

Prior to Zaino I use DACP then SEPC. I then wash the car which removes fillers and oils. There are no swirls to be seen.

Yes, I have tried this with perfect it hand glaze, but I did not wash after. Do you suggest dawn or a a milder wash? Doesn`t the wash remove the SEPC?

shaf
05-10-2003, 03:28 AM
I thought DACP has fillers, even judging only by Meguiar`s` own description of it? :confused:

JimS
05-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Ever since I came here a few months ago I`ve been thinking that there ought to be some industry standards regarding products and their definitions. There oughta be a department of detailing police to keep things straight and to provide clear information about the billions of products available.

Today I realized that WE are those "detailing police" I`d dreamed of....especially you guys that have been doing this forever and who know so many of these products and processes. My hat is off to you. I`m truly greatful. :bow