PDA

View Full Version : Comeing to your house to Detail

Fr0zen
05-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Well its almost summer im and i need something to do ,do you think that lots of people would catch the comeing to there house and detail there car there deal for less then going to a professional detail shop and spending 300+. I have a professional Makita Polisher and about every blackfire and eimann fabrik bottle they make and lots of Menzerna polishs and waxs to the customers choice also got lots of examples from my parents and my car.

huggybear
05-08-2003, 11:17 PM
A customer(average joe) does not come to you because they want a HUGE list of choices. They come to you for your opinion pertaining what you think thier car needs. That is what they pay for, your experience and profesional opinion; not how many polishes you have.

Jngrbrdman
05-08-2003, 11:51 PM
They aren`t going to come to your house unless you are going to let them crash in your front room and watch TV for about 2 or 3 hours. lol Most detail shops I`ve seen have you drop your car off and they give you an idea of when you can come back and get it. You are more than likely going to have to go to their house unless it is a family friend or something like that. The only customers I have ever had come to my house weren`t even customers. They were buddies of mine and we were having a barbeque at the same time. :D Generally I pick up the customer`s car and bring it to my house instead of making them wait around in my front yard or hovering over the car bugging the crap out of me. Having someone watch you work is a little distracting if you aren`t used to it.

Anthony O.
05-08-2003, 11:52 PM
Calestus stated this one very well.

Frozen,

You need to remember that there is a REASON why folks are willing to pay $300+ to have their cars detailed, and that is because they are most likely worth it.

Far too many detailers, or wanna-be`s (not saying you are one) use the logic of, "Hey, lets do the same amount of work the high dollar detailers do for $200 less....man the people will be breaking the doors down!!"

This flawed logic though ends up back-firing more than actually working because 1) After a few cars they finally realize the amount of work involved and then begin to cut corners thus resulting in poor work and word of mouth then kills them and 2) People, rich people, for the most part live by the rule of "If it`s to cheap it must suck!"

In other words they may look at your prices and think....."Hmm, this guy will give me a full detail for $200 less than the guy down the street. I wonder whats wrong with his work?"

A few years ago I raised my prices and while I lost a few clients I made up for them plus some because wealthy people feel that they get what they pay for.......but don`t think that they will stick around for hack work either.

Good luck,

Anthony

shaf
05-09-2003, 01:28 AM
FrOzen, how many cars have you done a full top to bottom detail on? (ie, how experienced are you?) I wouldn`t even think about going beyond friends and family`s cars and going even semi-pro without a lot of exerience personally. I know of someone who told me about dabbling in detailing the cars of people you don`t know very well for money and that it was surprising and more trouble than with people you know.

Fr0zen
05-09-2003, 06:28 AM
no no them comeing to my house me going to there house :) as for how many full cars top to bottom probley around 10

BradE
05-09-2003, 06:47 AM
FrOzen,

If I`m not mistaken you just got that Makita rotary. You need to practice a loooooooog time before using that on anyone`s car. You can totally destroy a finsh if you don`t know what you are doing.

Not to knock you, but 10 total details is not enough to considering detailing professionally. You will run into things on other people`s cars that you never dreamed of, and will need to be prepared to deal with that. Plus, it`s not just as easy as opening up shop at your house. You will need lots of insurance (which can get expensive), you will need to check local laws regarding chemicals going into residential sewage systems, water regulations.

Fr0zen
05-09-2003, 03:41 PM
i said not them comeing to my house me going to there house i had a rotary before but it was a very old and i threw it out and got the makita

BradE
05-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Does not matter if you got to there house the same regulations and laws could still apply, could even be more depending on local laws. You would still need insurance too.