PDA

View Full Version : Autopia Certified Detailers

Pages : [1] 2 3

jcattarulla
05-08-2003, 07:26 PM
So often I read about "detailers" making a mess of a car, using old towels, rubbing in a circular motion, etc.

Why not create an Autopia Certification, whereby detailers could earn that marque of distinction by participating on these boards and taking a test of some sort, the same way a mechanic becomes AST Certified.

This would allow Autopia to ESTABLISH a baseline of knowledge for detailing, and consumers would be assured of knowing their detailer is knowledgeable and uses Autopia "Best Practices."

Of course this would be a slow process (Rome wasn`t built in a day) but I CAN see the future when dealers` repair shops and independent detailing shops hang signs saying "Officially Certified Autopia Detailing Center."

We can raise the bar for the entire industry with the right business plan.

What do you think?

detailbarn
05-08-2003, 07:40 PM
I think this has been touched on before , but nothing major has been discussed. I personally would love to see some like an ASE certification for detailers.

Autopia would be a great start for this but it would take some work to get started and to make it nationally recognized.

David B what do you think , could be an additional income for autopia , make a certification manual and charge a fee to get the actual certification?

BradE
05-08-2003, 07:42 PM
I think it`s a nice idea, but not likely to happen. For a certification to mean anything it mush be from an orgainization that is widely accepted as the "gold standard" and expert authority on the subject. It`s practices mush be clear, produce results that factually based, not opinion based. Typically these orgainzations are professional in nature, Autopia is a rather small group of hardcore Enthusiasts who like to talk detailing.

While it`s a nice idea in theory, I would not hold my breath for it to happen. :)

:wavey

jcattarulla
05-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Of course I understand; I am a dreamer.

BUT, think of it this way: the NBA has five starters per team, about 30 teams = about 150 top players.

Their example sets the standard for all little boys, girls, europeans, asians, city kids, corn-fed hoosiers, etc.

It COULD happen. If Autopia is at the pinnacle of detailing knowledge, we could establish a list of "best practices" that could be free of specific products. Even a mid-level baseline would be a great addition to the auto-care industry.

As Bill Parcell`s says, "Aim for perfection, and you will find excellence along the way."

We are the about the only group that could drive this.

detailbarn
05-08-2003, 07:50 PM
I think it could happen , if it was going to happen I strongly feel autopia would be the orginization to make it happen.

It would need to be headed by David and it would need several long time professional autopian detailers involved in the whole process.

chris0626
05-08-2003, 07:54 PM
You guys raise valid points, and issues that are way beyond my expertise.

But, we also know David is a dreamer and achiever :up who can make amazing things happen.

If something like this existed, I would be much more likely to take one of my cars to an "Autopia certified detailer" when I am in a hurry and can`t take the time to do it myself.

My $.02, David.

Mmmph
05-08-2003, 08:00 PM
...or franchise Autopia Detail Centers.

DavidB becomes the exclusive supplier :up

jcattarulla
05-08-2003, 08:02 PM
I happen to know just the person who could spearhead such an initiative: GeekySteve.

He exhibits proven detailing expertise, unbiased advice, an ability to produce results (witness the GURU REPORTS), etc. He and DavidB as a team could lend the program the credibility it would need to get off the ground.

What do the PRO detailers out there think of establishing some sort of "Best Practices" baseline? Of course things change, so just as pilots get re-tested as aviation technology advances, so would the Autopia "Best Practices".

huggybear
05-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Don`t you do your best on tests? Very few detailers would actually. after they got the certification, live up to the standard.

I think it is a great idea though.

Jngrbrdman
05-08-2003, 08:15 PM
I think back to a scene from one of my favorite movies. It went something like this...

"A man has an idea... The idea attracts others who are like-minded. After awhile the idea becomes an institutuion. Gentlemen, the idea has become the institution. Its time to move on." Can you name that flick? Its not a direct quote but if you are a fan then you recognize it.

The problem I see with Autopia becoming something like that is that our community would become a corporation where ideas are shot down by the "best practices" list. Right now people share ideas right and left. Some are pretty off the wall too. When a community starts to dictate what the best practices are then it becomes a form of government that I`m not too fond of. I`m not saying that is the way this idea would be, of course. Perhaps the forums could be kept seperate from the corporation. It is a nice vision that may be possible in another year or two. That would be interesting.

huggybear
05-08-2003, 08:21 PM
I agree with what the dancing, hypnotizing, patriotic jngrbrdman said.

detailbarn
05-08-2003, 08:24 PM
I also agree with Jngrbrdman

Mmmph
05-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

"A man has an idea...

Patch Adams?

imported_Intel486
05-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Detailing is a lot about how YOU get the job done. There can be no set way to detail. There are certain, basic techniques but a lot of it is about how you like to detail and the products you use. Certain products need to be used certain ways to get the right results, which might be different than the "set rules"

There can be no written test for detailing, the test is in the results! If you get the results, then I really don`t care how you do it!

jcattarulla
05-08-2003, 08:44 PM
All excellent points; I humbly submit that my idea is not perfect.

BUT, there is a need for a "Gold Standard" of knowledge so that consumers don`t constantly encounter Snake-Oil Salesmen who mess up their cars. I`ve seen that too many times here. I just thought we, as leaders in testing, learning, and sharing knowledge, might do something about it.

Perhaps just by being here we are.