PDA

View Full Version : Is clay as big a rip-off as it seems?

Pages : [1] 2 3

acohen100
05-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Don`t get me wrong, I love the stuff for detailing. Used it on my fiancee`s car with a horrendous finish and it`s like new now. But for god`s sake, it`s CLAY. Next to air and water probably the most abundant sybstance on the planet. These guys are packaging it and selling it for $15-$20 a chunk. There has got to be somewhere else to buy clay without getting hosed as a "detailing enthusiast." I mean the stuff get`s dirty pretty quickly.

mrdetailer
05-08-2003, 12:50 PM
If you use the clay bar semi-annually like I do, it can be used many times if stored in a plastic bag. It`s that initial one that wipes it out in only one try.

Bobby G
05-08-2003, 12:59 PM
There`s more to it than you might think. There are basically two contenders making the products we use: KEL and AWC. Both companies have valid patents using two different technologies, "plastic" and "elastic". Both organizations are actively seeking to enforce their patent and defend their technology. So, we are paying a premium for their legal battles.

Detailing clay is not a product mined from the earth. It is manufactured from synthetic materials. A lot of money went into the original research of "plastic" clay in Japan. AWC imports plastic clay from Japan made under their patent design (may begin making it in the USA soon, if not already). KEL developed the "elastic" clay technology and manufactures it in the USA for its customers.

db

acohen100
05-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Ok i suppose that`s fair. Assuming that it`s not all just marketing hype and you couldn`t just go to an art supply store and buy some artist`s clay and have it do the same thing... May be worth a try.

Bobby G
05-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

There`s more to it than you might think. There are basically two contenders making the products we use: KEL and AWC. Both companies have valid patents using two different technologies, "plastic" and "elastic". Both organizations are actively seeking to enforce their patent and defend their technology. So, we are paying a premium for their legal battles.

Detailing clay is not a product mined from the earth. It is manufactured from synthetic materials. A lot of money went into the original research of "plastic" clay in Japan. AWC imports plastic clay from Japan made under their patent design (may begin making it in the USA soon, if not already). KEL developed the "elastic" clay technology and manufactures it in the USA for its customers.

Give the time saving and results provided by detailing clay, I think the cost is justified. Like every other technology, the price will adjust with demand.

db

Spilchy
05-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Snatchface

Don`t get me wrong, I love the stuff for detailing. Used it on my fiancee`s car with a horrendous finish and it`s like new now. But for god`s sake, it`s CLAY. Next to air and water probably the most abundant sybstance on the planet. These guys are packaging it and selling it for $15-$20 a chunk. There has got to be somewhere else to buy clay without getting hosed as a "detailing enthusiast." I mean the stuff get`s dirty pretty quickly.

"Hosed?" Mother`s Clay bar system is $14.99 and includes clay, the QD and a small bottle of cleaner wax.

To me, that`s very reasonable. That bar should last and be worth its price 10 times over if cared for properly.

milani
05-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Clay magic is $10 at Pep Boys too! Oooooh Ouch!:D

acohen100
05-08-2003, 02:09 PM
I went to Pep Boys and did not see the CLay magic thing. I wound up buying the Mother`s set which included all that other crap I didn`t even need for $17 and one measley 2oz bar of clay.

Vegas1
05-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Interesting info David! You learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Poorboy
05-08-2003, 03:05 PM
David that`s the same info I found out....but just like all technology. the price will fall after more people use it and the lawsuits end...

Snatchface...there really is not a good markup on clay, but sellers carry them as a convenience to their customers..:bigups

Thomasfl
05-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Snatchface that Mothers Kits is an amazing deal at $17 ( I can get it for $14) The clay works great, the QD works very well and don`t underestimate the mothers cleaner wax. This kit should give you about 4 cars depending on size.

gnahc79
05-08-2003, 03:39 PM
You don`t clay every time you wash your car, so for $10-$15 you can clay your car 3-4 times a year. The benefits are definitely worth the cost.

I use both the mother`s and claymagic kits, love both of them.

2wheelsx2
05-08-2003, 03:44 PM
No different than synthetic oil vs. dino oil. $1.99 a quart vs. $8+ a quart. Some people choose to use synthetic, some don`t. But it costs what the market chooses to pay. If everyone bought clay, it will be cheaper. But very few people can be bothered to even wash their cars, much less clay. So detailing clay, which is man-made, will continue to be expensive.

As for using clay, as natural clay from the earth...you can try it, if you want to end up wetsanding you car. Clay is a plastic deforming fine grained type of soil. Geologists (I am one) grade these earth media from gravel to sand to clay. Think about it. That`s like taking fine sandpaper to your car. Would you do that 4 times a year?:nixweiss

acohen100
05-08-2003, 05:42 PM
My fiancee thinks that I`m crazy. I pay $17 for a chunk of clay, I pay $8 for air in a can (compressed air to clean the computer). She`s offered to sell me dirt at half-off :D

LouisanaJeeper
05-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Got Clay? (http://www.usazj.rockcrawler.com/spillway2/mud1.JPG)

not even sure if this stuff was clay, it was more of a clay/mud/silt mixture with the consistency of detail clay.