PDA

View Full Version : is this process of repairing chips easy enough for a newb?

vapore0n
05-08-2003, 12:10 PM
Heres the link

http://www.autopia.ws/articles.php?articleId=27

Think it would be easy enough for a newb? My cars paint is black and 8 months old (if that helps). Tried Langka but its too long of a waiting process just to mess it up at the end. I could waist a whole bottle of langka and touch-up just learing how to do it. :nixweiss

Planning on testing this method on a well hidden place before using it on the real chips, at least test the removing the sand paper scratches part. Got 3m for dark cars.

anyone?

vapore0n
05-08-2003, 04:18 PM
bump anyone?

imported_BretFraz
05-09-2003, 12:46 AM
I don`t see where this is a problem. Yeah, it has a learning curve but so does waxing and polishing. I think the technique in that link is fine. Only way to learn how to fix the chips is to get to work. Don`t worry about screwing up, everyone screws up.

AkronSi
05-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Go for it. I used this technique on my girlfriends car last week, and I must say that it turned out better than I expected. My only advice it to make sure you really get the chip filled. I noticed a couple of mine weren`t totally filled, but the still look better than before.

Good luck :D

imported_Aurora40
05-09-2003, 01:00 PM
I tried this, but found I suck at it. However, the chips look better than before. I think when I do it again, I will just try to slowly fill the chip so it is fairly level and not bother with the sanding. I didn`t ruin anything with the sanding, but I didn`t help anything either... So, while not seamless, it does look better. And hey, what`s wrong with that...

Jake11375
05-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Yep this method works wonderfully. I repaired about 7 chips on my hood and front fenders last year and they still look good. Vertical panels I found were a bit more difficult to get the capillary action to fill the chip properly. Give it a try though, you`ll be proud of yourself...:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs