PDA

View Full Version : Take HEART! you amateurs!!

Gadfly
05-07-2003, 04:11 PM
I own a Black Hyundai Santa Fe. Bought in November, 2002. A black car is a career, and I looked to Autopia for hints. Research led me to Platinum. Very nice, indeed. At 45 degrees is was a challenge to apply, but the results were very nice, indeed. Next was the hype on the ClearKote products. Naturally I had to try them - Vanilla Moose and Moose Wax - very nice, indeed. Then it was S100. Outstanding! But, now I was accumulating a lot of layers of these various nostrums.

Today I broke the bonds of hype and started over.

Being an amateur, I looked for the "retail" solution to getting my Black Santa Fe (The paint is not nearly as refined as my daughter`s M350).

MOTHER`S!! Phase 1, Pre Wax Cleaner. Phase 2, Sealer and Glaze. Bought at Pep Boys for $12 and change.

After the Pre Wax Cleaner, I thought that it can`t get better than this, but I persevered. On to Phase 2, Sealer and Glaze. Oh boy! For six bucks, this is a DEAL! Black, expecially Hyundai Black, is a real bear to get some semblance of freedom from swirls - spiderwebs or whatever. Phase 2 did the job. Now I don`t wince when I look at the hood from an angle.

To protect this nice look, the next step was a coat of S100 Paste Wax purchased at the local Harley dealership for $14.95 plus tax.

So, for $28 or so, I have a car that I am proud of. No shipping charges, no $200 PC (with pads and accessories) Just a nice shiney car and about three hours time.

Amateurs. Take HEART:xyxthumbs

2wheelsx2
05-07-2003, 04:28 PM
I agree. And the California Gold paste wax is great too. I used this for years before I arrived at Autopia. The problem is durability. I found that for me to maintain that shine, I had to do the 3 step every month.

Now, with Klasse, I spend 3 hours every 4 or months, after the initial swirl removal and cleanup. No comparison. And the shine is better.

Not everyone needs to achieve the same thing. If it works for you, great! It did for me for years, but I was searching for something better, and now I have found it, I won`t got back. :)

TurboCat
05-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Like it has been said on the forums, 95% of it is technique! Only 5% the products you use.

HRD
05-08-2003, 09:04 AM
I used mother`s pre-wax cleaner years ago and always liked the results from it. I felt it was a fairly mild cleaner, but at the time I was doing all my work by hand, and it was very easy to use, was strong enough to clean up water marks and other minor blemishes.

At least years ago when I used it, the only downside I felt was that it dusted.

Anyway, my procedure was once Mother`s Pre-wax cleaner, Meg`s #7 and Meg`s #26.

I never had any complaints regarding the final `look` of that combination.

milani
05-08-2003, 09:11 AM
When I joined Autopia, I "thought" I knew how to take care of my car. I used retail products, but had no technique. My first "Autopian" detail was done using Meguiar`s Deep Crystal System. It turned out nice. However, after much research, and seeing some of the awesome jobs that you guys do, made me think " I can do better". So I started experimenting with all of the excellent products you all recommend, and what a difference in shine, depth, and durability. The extra money makes a huge difference. But I will also agree that is is the process that will make a lasting difference, not the product.

boywonder
05-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by milani

When I joined Autopia, I "thought" I knew how to take care of my car. I used retail products, but had no technique. My first "Autopian" detail was done using Meguiar`s Deep Crystal System. It turned out nice. However, after much research, and seeing some of the awesome jobs that you guys do, made me think " I can do better". So I started experimenting with all of the excellent products you all recommend, and what a difference in shine, depth, and durability. The extra money makes a huge difference. But I will also agree that is is the process that will make a lasting difference, not the product.

Truer words were never spoken. :D