PDA

View Full Version : First Dent and I`m just sick!

JohnSWA
05-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi guys and gals. I just put my first dent in my new F-350 4x4 Crew cab and I`m just sick! I was waiting for a parking spot when some person parks perpendicular to the spot blocking me. I waited a few minutes and then my patience got the best of me. I decided to try for a far corner parking space and while I made my turn to line up for the spot, I found a Concrete trash can!:eek: I was already having a bad day, but this topped it! I guess it could have been worse, but this is my baby.

After I spooled down, I drove back to work and took the inside of the door apart. I don`t have any body work tools so I used what I had in my tool box. Here`s what I did. I took a flat bucking bar and a mallet and beat on the bucking bar. I was able to get most of the dent out. I`m happy with the result but now I have to break into the autopia guide for scratches and paint touch up.

Thanks for listening. I just needed a shoulder to cry on. I guess I had to get my first dent out of the way. Of course this happened 1 day after I applied my 2nd coat of SG with an S100 topper. She still looks awful pretty with that combination.

Take care guys and gals and don`t forget to look out for concrete trashcans that jump in your way!:rolleyes:

John

2wheelsx2
05-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Don`t worry, John. It happens to the best of us. Have you fixed it up perfect now? If not, you should get a paintless dent repair guy to have a look at it and make it perfect before you touch up the paint.

Spilchy
05-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Bummer. :angry

I have a detail guy 3 minutes from my house that charges $50 a panel to get out those kind of dents.

You think thats bad, my old man decided to kiss the the belgium block curb on our driveway the whole way down. I wound up with beautiful stock 17" wheels with a nice cash of road rash on the lip on one side. I lightly sanded smooth and went over with silver touch up paint with clear coat that was an exact match. It`s hard to see now.

Porterhouse
05-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Sorry to hear that JohnSWA, my sympathies :o

Spilchy, what kind of paint did u use on the rims? I want to fix my rims but have no idea how i can get the right color and type of paint... I emailed the manufacturer of the wheel and waiting for their response.

Scottwax
05-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Look on the bright side....you didn`t get caught in what I did last week.

Yes, that is golfball sized hail in the road. My hood has 3 decent sized dents from even bigger hail (looked to be tennis ball sized), and several smaller ones on the roof. No exits on that stretch for about 3 miles or so.

Scottwax
05-07-2003, 06:45 PM
This is when it got real bad :(

Tim Lingor
05-07-2003, 06:58 PM
I feel your pain!:( I have one dent on my truck and it was caused by me!! I am almost too embaraased to say how it happened. My truck sits up very high, so to polish the hood, I need a 3 tier step-stool to stand on. I was using the big rotary when the stool slid out from underneath me. I landed on the hood. I busted a couple of bones in my right hand trying to prevent the buffer from hitting the hood---nope, did not stop it. So I have now a small, but creased dent on my hood!! PMO!!!! According to the dent repair guys, it will make it worse if they touch it, so I guess, I have a dent!!!

Argh..............................:angry

JohnSWA
05-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks for sharing my pain! LOL. Actually, the dent is nearly nonexistent after playing with it a bit. I`ll have to do a little paint touch up and buffing (now I have a great reason to by the pc althought I could think of a million better reasons for owning one) I know it could have been much worse. At least the concrete trash can was painted. I`d hate to think about what would have happened if it was just plain unfinished concrete. Wow! I`ve heard about the Texas sized hail before but OMG! I guess things really are bigger in Texas.

Thanks again guys and keep`em pretty!

John

58fury
05-07-2003, 07:59 PM
glad to hear its not too bad of a dent, and OMG is right RE scottwax`s pics!!

Spilchy
05-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Porterhouse

Sorry to hear that JohnSWA, my sympathies :o

Spilchy, what kind of paint did u use on the rims? I want to fix my rims but have no idea how i can get the right color and type of paint... I emailed the manufacturer of the wheel and waiting for their response.

Porterhouse, I use plasti-kote Scratch Color Touch Up topcoat with clear CC 3729. $3.17 with tax at Pep Boys.

It is a dead ringer of a match for my wheels. It is super thin and you can layer it. You can apply thin coats 10 minutes in between and it will build up and fill in the scratch or nick. If you have a little gash, it will cover any discoloration and help make it less noticeable. Just shake the product well before using. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!