PDA

View Full Version : question re: IHG...

rbs9
05-07-2003, 10:16 AM
I recently purchased some 3M IHG and applied it to my 993. The car is Speed Yellow BTW. The people I bought the IHG from said no need to strip the current wax off the car.

Anyhow my question is, after claying, swirl remover by hand, I applied the IHG and buffed off (by hand) with MF towels. The paint seemed kinda `sticky`, smooth, but not slick. The IHG was really difficult to get off the paint. Is this normal?

Anyhow, I finished with some Meg. Yellow wax. The car looks REALLY good in the end. I am just curious about the IHG and it being difficult to work with.....

Thanks!

imported_doug
05-07-2003, 10:41 AM
I htink IHG can be very difficult to apply and buff off evenly. I can see on black when it is "uneven" - and it is very hard to get it "even". You might see this on the Speed Yellow too - much harder to see on metallic finishes. Best I can say is try to get it on very evenly. Best way to do this is to apply it with an orbital - and don`t use too much! In the end, IHG works by leaving a lot of oily filler behind - and (I think) the solvents in the wax help to dilute/spread this around - but can also make the wax more difficult to buff out. SO - if the car`s finish was already "clean" - no oxidation - I`m beginning to question whether there is much value in IHG if you intend to wax. It DOES do a good job of gentle cleaning, and makes a finish look great. 3M Glazes, as far as I know, were developed so there was something body shops could apply to freshly painted surfaces to make them look great before delivering to the customer, when it would be too soon to wax.

rbs9
05-07-2003, 02:12 PM
I have a machine glaze that I have used on another car and it was pretty easy to buff off by hand. I dont mind using the machine (DeWalt rotary) with the machine glaze, but it just makes a mess of everything else. Obviously there is a technique to minimizing the `spray`, but it gets everywhere.

Thanks for the reply!

Chris