PDA

View Full Version : Swirls

Mr2SpyderMan
05-07-2003, 12:31 AM
I have a question. I have a daily driver with a few swirl marks.. The car itself is two years old. I took very good care of it in the garage waxing every 3 months and washing every week. Until recently i used a mothers clay bar set and then used a maguiers swirl x applied with foam and pulled off with terry cloth. I then used turtle wax Carnuba. Applied it with foam and took it off with terry cloth. I still have swirl marks though what am i doing wrong?

Accumulator
05-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Mr2SpyderMan - Hm, hard to say, but you`re probably causing the swirls when your washing/drying AND/OR by using something that isn`t soft enough when you do your Megs and/or the wax. The terry cloth is a likely culprit.

I`d say get some good MF towels. Waffle-weaves for drying and plush for removing products. Make sure your foam applicators are perfectly clean and replace them regularly.

Jngrbrdman
05-07-2003, 12:31 PM
I don`t know the percentage but I would say that most swirls get on your car through improper tools and methods while washing, drying, and waxing the car. Driving causes swirls too but you`ll get more swirls in 10 minutes drying your car with a bath towel than you will driving for a week like normal. If you change your tools and examine your methods then you may be able to cut down on the swirls that are showing up. Your next item of business should be to remove the swirls you have so you can tell if your new methods are effective. :xyxthumbs

shaf
05-07-2003, 12:51 PM
As said, try to root out the cause of the swirl making in the first place and put a stop to it. Then make sure you`re using the products to best effect. I assume you meant you`re using Meguiar`s Scratch-X as a swirl remover? Make sure you`re working the product in thoroughly - swirl removal is tough and time consuming by hand, but I think Scratch-X is a bit harder to use. Since it sounds like you`re limited to common retail products maybe give the TW Scratch & Swirl Remover a shot, or Meguiar`s #9 which places sometimes carry too.

Jngrbrdman
05-07-2003, 12:55 PM
BTW, ScratchX is for `scratches` and not necessarily `swirls`. I can`t imagine using it for total car swirling. Its supposed to be for just spot areas where the scratches are from a door ding or a bush or something like that. There are other products that are easier to use and more effective on total body swirls especially if you are working by hand. Like Brian said, #9 may be a better product for ya.

Mr2SpyderMan
05-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Okay thanks for the help. Just one more question maybe perhaps i can get a list of materials to apply and dry/buff the car. Ex. Wax is applied with foam taken off with microfiber, What about polish, sealant, compound, drying after wash and glaze.

Brad B
05-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Waxes, polishes and compounds (scratch and swirl removers) should all be applied with a foam pad and removed with a microfiber towel.

You should wash a car with a 100% cotton chenille mitt or a "real" lambs wool mitt.

Dry a car with a soft quality 100% cotton towel or, preferrably, with a microfiber waffleweave towel.