PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a trim product for X5

pingable
05-06-2003, 10:21 PM
On the X5, the bottom trim on both the front and rear bumper is unpainted. The engineers over at BMW must have left it unpainted for a reason...

I`ve been thinking about having it properly painted (which requires removing trim, sanding, priming, paint, clearcoat) which is a very costly mod but looks great. I`ve seen a couple of Topaz Blue X5`s with the trim painted and it just completes the X5 that much more.

My car is Jet Black. Can anyone recommend a good durable black trim product that I could use on the trim to make it look a nice deep black with a good product life on it. I was checking out black again but it doesn`t seem to have a nice finish to it. Maybe it was the pics I was looking at

Accumulator
05-07-2003, 11:44 AM
chefwong - Disclaimer: I am NOT familiar with X5`s! The following is based purely upon MY experiences.

All of my vehicles have black plastic trim. BTW, some of it actually IS painted, although it sure doesn`t look like it (found out after a wreck), or at least the black pigment is only so deep, and shops repair it/prep replacement pieces with paint. Anyhow, I treat my black trim with AIO/SG or BFII. It looks good and black, and the sealants don`t wash off/run in the rain. How even it looks will primarily depend on how carefully you prep the pieces (I`ve used PPCL) and apply the product. A little Final Inspection helps during removal, too.

Thomasfl
05-07-2003, 11:47 AM
for the X5 trim I like Stoner`s Trim Shine, seems to only last a few weeks though. I also like Black Again.

TheCompleteLook
05-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Have you ever tried Forever Black? Its actually a dye. Use it like show polish and buff it in a bit.

1.) Clean surface with an all paurpost cleaner and nylon brush.

2.) Apply Forever Black and let sit for a while, then buff a bit.

3.) You could use a dressing to bring up the shine since you have a black car. Just use whatever you are using on your tires. I might recommend Eimann Fabrik Black Opal, it`s a quality product with tons of shine. I use it on all my dark color cars that I do.

imported_ragman
05-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Not sure it has such a great reputation on this forum, but I use Black Magic Trim and Tire shine on my Volvo (which has a good deal of black trim)

this works well for me and seems to last a couple of months or so.