PDA

View Full Version : Update on "88 bimmer

rasx
05-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Well, I did a whole lot of research before getting to work on the old little car with all that clearcoat failure. At this point the whole roof had lost about half its clearcoat and looked like #*@!. So at this point there is no choice but to respray the car. Oh well, I had to give it a try anyway even if it was just to practice and see how much can possibly be done by hand (don`t own a PC).

I tested the following procedure on the trunk lid:

Clay Magic

3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound

3M SMR for Dark colored cars

3M Imperial Hand Glaze

Gold Class Wax

That process I gave up on - too damn hard to do by hand and I couldn`t get all the fine scratches out or all the water spots.

I came to terms that the paint was just getting worse while I sat around and decided to clay and apply 3M Cleaner/Wax for Medium Oxidation by hand. That was no easy chore either (my arms!!) and the results were not very impressive. I gues what the car had was more like Very Heavy Oxidation. Oh well, it looks better at least. I even found tons of rusted spots in various areas - some that have gone through the metal - ouch! Any ideas on how to repair this that would prep for the future respray??

Well, thanks everybody for the info and suggestions. Sadly, I can`t post any pics (no dig camera, can`t find 35mm in moving boxes. have`nt gone to buy a disposible...).

Next: going to buy a PC and try that out on this car and in my future detailing ventures. (Wow this post is long, sorry)

rasx
05-06-2003, 10:18 PM
"I even found tons of rusted spots in various areas - some that have gone through the metal - ouch! Any ideas on how to repair this that would prep for the future respray??"

VetteToVair
05-06-2003, 10:28 PM
Sorry this isn`t much help...but is there any chance of just getting another car??

rasx
05-08-2003, 11:30 PM
Haha... another car!

Sorry, it`s just pretty funny to hear that, considering it`s my girl`s car, and she goes to school full time and works two jobs to pay for everything since she gets crap for financial aid and she is going to pharmacy school. That little car has to last her at least another five years. I think it`s a pretty cool car, though. It was a gift from her parents. The mechanical aspect of the car is pristine since it was previously owned by a BMW mechanic, but it looks like he never even bothered to wax the car.

I`m working on it to make my girl happy and for myself to practice with different detailing products and techniques. Most of the problems are all cosmetic and can be repaired, which gives me a chance to mess around and learn. Thanks again and maybe someone could still help me out with the rust problem... if even just to keep it from getting worse.

Rick

imported_BretFraz
05-09-2003, 12:40 AM
The rust can be easily fixed by the body shop when you get it repainted. Post some pics when you find the camera so we can see what you`re talking about.