PDA

View Full Version : how to treat/detail a carbon fiber hood

Legend107
05-06-2003, 04:00 PM
hi guys... i just recentlypurchased a carbon fiber hood for my car... how do i keep the hood looking clean and sharp... do i treat it the same way as a painted hood? wax etc... or is it considered a plastic? it does have a clear coat. and for the time being.. id like it to look its best until i have it paint... (i personally do not like the look of CF hoods left as is..) especially on a luxory car... i would like to top to be painted but i guess ill leave the fibers showing underneath... thanks

-jeremy

meGrimlock
05-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Since it is clear coated, you should just treat it like regular paint. Since you do plan on having it painted, stay away from products with silicone in them.

2wheelsx2
05-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Depends on how long you`re going to leave it unpainted. If it`s just a little while, then you can just keep it clean, or put products like #7 on it to keep it shiny. However, if it`s going to be a few months before you paint it, then I would suggest that you seal with with a good polymer until they are going to paint it, and then the shop can then just strip the sealant off.