PDA

View Full Version : Merge Autopia University & Detailing Forum?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bobby G
05-06-2003, 12:13 PM
I have received a suggestion from several people that I merge the Autopia University and Detailing Forums and split the main detailing forum into "Interior Detailing" and "Exterior Detailing".

What do you think?

db

VetteToVair
05-06-2003, 12:33 PM
i think they should definitely stay seperate. What`s wrong with the way it is now - i think AU serves its function quite well? Let`s not abandon a good thing.

2wheelsx2
05-06-2003, 12:47 PM
I like the current format, but unfortunately, a lot of newbies take it as an insult that they are relegated to AU because they are not newbies to detailing (whether they are or are not is a separate issue). I still see the same "what is the best wax on a black 2003 Porsche 996 with 25 inch wheels?" type question from people with 2 posts in the detailing forum. And when they get moved, the poor mods get flamed for moving them to AU.

Merging the forums may cut down on the hostilities.

VetteToVair
05-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

I still see the same "what is the best wax on a black 2003 Porsche 996 with 25 inch wheels?" type question from people with 2 posts in the detailing forum. And when they get moved, the poor mods get flamed for moving them to AU.

Merging the forums may cut down on the hostilities.

Not to be a jerk, but maybe it would help if they read the forum rules;) (Why dont people read them before posting? It seems so simple and it takes about 2 minutes:confused: )

imported_memnuts
05-06-2003, 01:22 PM
AU for 30 posts is a small price for admission. If a legimate thread is posted everyone will chime in. I still use AU for basic questions even though I have over 1600 posts.

I also like the idea about having an exterior and interior forum :wavey

Spilchy
05-06-2003, 02:47 PM
My concern is that newbies sometimes put their question or comment in the wrong forum. I think when newbies get their introductory e-mail, the forums should be explained to them in detail. Maybe it is (I never bothered to read it!).

What about changing the name of "University" to something that doesn`t sound like you`ve been relegated the newbie pansy portion of the site?

But, I wouldn`t merge anything, just maybe change the name so people dont feel dumb. Not to sound politically correct or anything (an alien concept for me).

The interior / exterior categorization sounds intriguing. But, we`ll wind up chopping up the threads even further. The more specialized things get and the more navigation required, the more cumbersome the site becomes. Lets not forget, there is still a large chunk of the online community on a 56k.

Things for me are fine the way they are. As long as people post in the right forum, things will be fine. Like stanger99 said, why compensate for those who can`t follow instructions?

shaf
05-06-2003, 02:50 PM
I kind of like it the way it is, and don`t really think AU should sound like it`s strictly for "30 posts" then you can go post in Detailing. I think we need to simply make a clearer distinction between the functions of the two forums. AU isn`t just a "newbie forum" and I think it`s just a place where basic, simple detailing questions should be asked. Like blkZ28Conv, if I were to ask something basic, that`s where I`d post it.

My 2 cents. :)

PS: While I`m here, I think the function of the Pro Detailing forum needs more emphasis. Some people seem to have this notion that the "Pro" forum is the best place where the most elite members hang out so they post there when they want only the "finest" repsonses.... :rolleyes:

Jngrbrdman
05-06-2003, 03:04 PM
We seperated Detailing into the two forums way back when for a reason. The newbie threads were getting burried and we needed a good way of seperating them. I still think that it is the best way to do it. The basic questions that can be answered with a search should go in the AU forum and the more advanced questions go in Detailing. I think it has worked pretty well so far and I don`t see whay it would need to go back to the way it was before.

Jngrbrdman
05-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by stanger99

Not to be a jerk, but maybe it would help if they read the forum rules;) (Why dont people read them before posting? It seems so simple and it takes about 2 minutes:confused: )

LOL Agreed. Some people need a window installed in their belly so they can see where they are going while their head is up their butt. Its hard to read the rules that way. :LOL

tangix2001
05-06-2003, 03:11 PM
I like the idea of splitting into interior and exterior forums. :)

Spilchy
05-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

We seperated Detailing into the two forums way back when for a reason. The newbie threads were getting burried and we needed a good way of seperating them. I still think that it is the best way to do it. The basic questions that can be answered with a search should go in the AU forum and the more advanced questions go in Detailing. I think it has worked pretty well so far and I don`t see whay it would need to go back to the way it was before.

Is it just me, or is anyone else having seizures after looking too long at Jngrbrdman`s dancing cookie pic? :lol :lol <jsut kidding!>

sorry for getting off topic.

Jngrbrdman
05-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Maybe I should bring back the dancing tiger (Hobbes) that I put up when we first got Avatars. LOL A couple of the mods said the same thing. I guess I have a thing for making people fall on the floor convulsing. lol :D

imported_memnuts
05-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Will someone stick a spoon in my mouth!!!! :D

Bobby G
05-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Will someone stick a spoon in my mouth!!!! :D

Silver?

C. Charles Hahn
05-06-2003, 04:40 PM
My $0.03 --

Perhaps a good setup for the forums would be this: a 3-forum division, consisting of a "Detailing Basics and General Tips/Tricks" forum, an "exterior" forum, and an "interior" forum.

that way everyone stays happy, and perhaps things will be a bit less hostile. :xyxthumbs