PDA

View Full Version : QD w/o streaks?

Pages : [1] 2

dazco
08-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Is there a quick detailer thats widely available at the major chains that does NOT leave streaks? I`m using mothers right now, and i`ve tried everything including making sure i`m in the shade and microfiber and all that. But there are always streaks that are hard to see till i look at just the right anggle and they`re often hard to rub out, even when i`m doing it over a recent waxing. So whats the best QD as far as low to no streaking, and how muchg better is it in that regard than mothers? (mothers works fine for me in all other regards tho)

91LSMAN
08-14-2004, 07:39 PM
I get streaks with Mother`s QD sometimes as well. I recently ran out though and I plan to order Poorboys QD tomorrow so I can have it next weekend.

To not get streaks with mother`s I have found if you do a smaller area and buff more, there is less of a chance of streaking, but I sometimes still get a little bit.

kartoon
08-14-2004, 07:43 PM
What have you done regarding your paint prep ?
While Mother`s Showtime may not be the best QD, it`s certainly one of the easiest (to me anyway) to use. It contains NO carnuba. I would say either you have some grease on your paint or maybe the microfiber you`re using has something in it.

Poorboy`s QD+ contains carnuba and is not really a QD but rather a wax refresher.

And :welcome to DC, dazco

Boss_429
08-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by dazco
Is there a quick detailer thats widely available at the major chains that does NOT leave streaks? I`m using mothers right now, and i`ve tried everything including making sure i`m in the shade and microfiber and all that. But there are always streaks that are hard to see till i look at just the right anggle and they`re often hard to rub out, even when i`m doing it over a recent waxing. So whats the best QD as far as low to no streaking, and how muchg better is it in that regard than mothers? (mothers works fine for me in all other regards tho)

Well, if you are using good MF`s, and have washed/dried them properly, you really shouldn`t get much streaking with Mothers QD, or most others. :dunno

Could it be that you are applying too much QD? You only need a very light "mist" of the product. The Meguiar`s Quik Detailer bottles have one of the best spray patterns for QD`ing. I have several old ones, and they all contain various QD`s.

dazco
08-14-2004, 08:37 PM
I`m using cotton terrycloth at the moment, and as for the prep, the car has 2 coats of wax at the moment that i applied last weekend. But mothers has always done this to me no matter the situation or how it`s applied, and believe me, i`ve tried it all. And never having used any other QD i just figured theres gotta be one that comes off easier. For my situation because of where i have to park at work, QD is very important to me, so i must find one that removes easier.

The Chee
08-14-2004, 08:42 PM
the culprit could very well be the cotton terrycloth, try with a good microfiber towel first :)

Boss_429
08-14-2004, 09:20 PM
I would suggest the same thing................ some good MF towels. You could also pick up some Meguiar`s Quik Detailer locally, and give that a try.

forrest@mothers
08-14-2004, 09:41 PM
I`d vote for microfiber, and less product.

Try holding the bottle about 15-18 inches from the paint surface, and fanning it side to side as you squeeze the trigger. This helps prevent too much product from going on the paint.

I`ve not had a problem with our Showtime streaking, unless it was:

1) a towel too loaded-up with product
2) a hot paint surface
3) doing too large an area.

Streaking will occur with anyone`s product under those conditions.

Big Leegr
08-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Hey Forrest, you "newbie"! :lmfao

You should update your location here (or have you moved back?)!

Dazco:
As to the Showtime, I`ve found that if there are streaks, and your cloth isn`t too damp, fire a quick, light spritz onto the cloth and quickly buff over the streaky area, then flip it to the dry side (or use another dry mf) and finish it off. This usually works for me!

forrest@mothers
08-15-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Big Leegr
Hey Forrest, you "newbie"! :lmfao

You should update your location here (or have you moved back?)!

Done - thanks for reminding me

awd330
08-15-2004, 05:10 PM
If the humidity level is high, you may experience streaking issues with many QD sprays. Mother`s Showtime is probably my favorite off the shelf QD. If you are willing to consider ordering products through the internet, I`ve found Clearkote QuikShine to be especially streak resistant.

Don
08-15-2004, 07:11 PM
I know that when I use a QD after a wash or the NXT Spray Booster wax, I get my best results when I spray the QD or Booster Wax on the MF rather than directly on the car. Just a thought

Larry A
08-15-2004, 08:14 PM
I find that Eagle One Wipe n Shine is the best for NOT leaving streakes. All the other QDs need a final wipe down with a dry m.f. towel. Ive never had any streaking problem with Wipe n Shine. I.M.O. !

dazco
08-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Larry A
I find that Eagle One Wipe n Shine is the best for NOT leaving streakes. All the other QDs need a final wipe down with a dry m.f. towel. Ive never had any streaking problem with Wipe n Shine. I.M.O. !

You`re the 3rd person i`ve heard this from, and i decided yesterday to try this stuff actually. I also like that i read that it has teflon in it and supposedly has anti-static properties to repel dust. And at 4 bucks if it does that and doean`t streak, it`ll be the bargain of the century. (assuming the shine is decent of course) Gonna grab some after work.

Fallguy
08-16-2004, 08:40 PM
If your looking for a spray & wipe type cleaner / QD then there is no question PB Spray & wipe.

If you looking for a straight QD I would suggest Meguiars Mirror Glaze #37 Final Inspection. I recently tried this stuff and it`s pretty nice . Also cheap.