PDA

View Full Version : Just polished

imported_Infamous
05-05-2003, 04:22 PM
I just polished half of my friends hood and its a 89 red camry. He never takes care of it and he used to wash it with tide and other strong soaps. I used DACP with yellow pad and put a nickel size on the pad. Rubbed it on surface in a 2x2 ft area and it helped a little I guess not what I wanted it to be. I tried cma wool pad and it got a little better but wasn`t worth the time and effort so we stopped. Also it seemed like there was no produvt so we put more and thought it would help but it a REAL PAIN to take off the residue. I had to wet the pad a little to get it out. Then we tried my friends 96 blazer green with yellow pad. It looked shiny and all but still had small swirls. The pads were kind of black. I think that the pads caused the micro marring. I`m pretty sure it`s because I didnt clay the surface. Tell me what you guys think. :)

paco
05-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Not claying probably didn`t cause the swirls.

For the first red case, the amount of oxidation and damage is probably severe. You may need something stronger than DACP as DACP is pretty mild. Just slightly above a SMR.

What machine did you use or did you try doing some of it by hand?

How long did you work the product?

Nickel size can be a bit on the skimpy side if it`s a fresh machine pad.

If you used a wool pad and it didn`t help, wow that must be in pretty bad shape.

I`d venture out and say the product wasn`t worked enough.

Did you follow it up with an SMR or GEPC/Vanilla Moose type product?

2wheelsx2
05-05-2003, 04:45 PM
I would say it`s time to break out the heavy cut cleaner, or even the diamond cut cleaner then.

imported_BretFraz
05-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

I would say it`s time to break out the heavy cut cleaner, or even the diamond cut cleaner then.

Agreed!! A 14 yr old neglected car which has been washed with harsh detergents isn`t going to be fixed with a little DACP. You need serious products to fix serious defects. I`d start with medium cut and go to heavy cut if needed.

imported_Infamous
05-05-2003, 08:34 PM
What do you guys think about the 2nd case?

I though DACP should of taken out the swirls and I used a PC 7424 from CMA. I worked product until there was no haze I moved PC left to right, up to down, diagnol both ways to and pad was a little dirty. Is it bad to buff when there is no more product or if its wet?

Anthony O.
05-05-2003, 09:49 PM
A PC is not a tool one can use to remove "paint uglies" (coined a new word :) ).

You will need to step up to a high speed rotary. If you used a PC and the wool pad then that is where you got even more swirls from because a wool pad should be used at much higher RPM`s.

Foam pads work best if used at lower RPM`s, say around 1000 to 1800.

The red car can be brought back to life but you will need to get aggressive with the finish. This is where a heavy duty cleaner, with the friction and heat produced by the rotary, will level the paint down to a place where you can work it back to a high gloss using milder polishes.

This though is not something you learn over night nor would I recommend using a rotary on anyones car until you have practiced on junkers.

Anthony