PDA

View Full Version : BMW M Rim refinishing

Pandora
05-05-2003, 11:57 AM
This was started in another thread and it seemed like the wrong place for it, so I thought I`d start a new thread. The original link:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=209877#post209877

The point being that those of us with an M Roadster / Coupe, an E46 M3 or an E39 M5 have a finish on the rim that mojor wheel refinishers claim to not be able to duplicate. The finish apparently starts with a black undercoat followed with a light silver coat and a clear top coat. This can`t really be impossible to refinish, just difficult and probably inconsistent, at least in small batches.

Has anyone had any luck with refinishing M series rims in a factory finish, not the standard "Porsche" silver?

Thanks,

Ben

Nicky Pass
05-05-2003, 03:05 PM
try www.classiccomponents.com

imported_doug
05-05-2003, 08:03 PM
No, Nicky - it isn`t chrome. It is called "Shadow Chrome" and the situtation is as MCoupeBen describes.

Ben, your understanding matches mine, as well as that of the majority of members on the E39 board at www.bmwm5.com. If memory serves, I think one member claimed to have found a decent solution. You might try a search there.

Pandora
05-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Okay, I`ve seen some people satisfied with refinishing, but currently I can`t find specifics. Thanks for the M5 link carguy, a nice reference to have. I`ll continue to search there and a few other BMW boards.

In the meantime, if I had the rims refinished, will regular auto paint work on wheels? Both Steel Grey and the new Silver Grey look pretty close to Chrome Shadow, I just don`t know if wheel paint is anything special, like bumper paint. My other thought is to refinish the wheels and powder coat them black with red rims. This might be a bit over the top and might require a second set of street wheels, which would really be a shame!:D

Ben

imported_Greg
05-07-2003, 08:58 PM
I thought chrome shadow was the color on the M3 CSL prototype and those are chrome satin.

chaloots
05-09-2003, 01:25 PM
http://www.wheelcollision.com/index.html

try theses guys they might be able to help.a friend used them to repair a mangled wheel with good results.