PDA

View Full Version : A bit dizzy after looking at wax selection...

CRXSi90
05-04-2003, 09:54 PM
I was in Eau Claire this weekend for a state-level music competition (boy`s triple-trio if ya wanted to know) and stayed with my sister (who is going to college)...there is also a harley dealer that has s100 which closed at 3:00 that saturday...I also stopped at farm and fleet on my way home which carries meguiars consumer and professional products. anyway....

I came across Meguiars #26 hi-tech yellow wax on sale for about half the price of S100 ($7.50)...I wanted the S100, but for the price and considering I may not even notice a difference, I didn`t know what to do. They had the paste and liquid versions. This provoked some thought by me...what is the difference between liquid and paste? I looked at the Gold Class stuff (I have GC clear coat liquid wax @ home) and remembered how it hid swirls pretty well, but didn`t last long. I have never tried a paste, but I thought that liquids might have more fillers in them. Could this be? I was just about ready to get the #26 paste, but then I thought of the S100, which everybody here seems to love. I ended up leaving without anything.

I would have probably gotten the #20 polymer sealant if they had some since I don`t have anything that lasts long and is layerable. bummer.

Also, if I start moving in this product-application-specific direction, I would like some help selecting some surface prep stuff. Basically, all I have is Scratch-X and Meguiars gold class clay bar. If someone could steer me in the right direction, that would be great. I`ll be working by hand and hear that S100 Gloss Enhansing Paint Cleanser is good.

As I got more and more confused thinking, I decided to just leave and play with what I have for now...which includes scratchx, gold class liquid wax, turtlewax finish 2001 wax, zymol cleaner wax, and armor all spray "car polish" or whatever it is called.

overview

What I want to know is if my unexperienced-nonprofessional self would make the double in price between #26 and S100 carnuba or just sticking with Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid (cleaner...worries me if I want to put it over something more durable...but already have it) would be worth it or not. Also, what surface-prep stuff other than scratchx and meguiar`s claybar would be good for me, and how would I use it? Keep in mind I`ll be working by hand.

Thanks.

Scottwax
05-04-2003, 10:04 PM
If you pick up the following 4 products, you will probably be pretty happy:

Clay Magic`s Clay Bar

Meguiars Swirl Remover #9 2.0

S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser

S100 Paste Wax.

Unless your paint needs major correction (ie lots of swirls or scratches), you can get a first class shine using those 4 products correctly.

imported_BretFraz
05-04-2003, 10:43 PM
In general, paste products are meant for hand application while liquid products are for machine application. Usually the paste version performs a little better (more shine and durability).

The Gold Class, Turtle Wax, and Zymol are all basically the same thing. You need to diversify your inventory more. Think of the steps you need to detail and buy products that help you accomplish those steps.

1. Wash the car

2. Clay the paint

3. Clean the paint

4. Polish the paint

5. Protect the paint

6. All the other details (wheels, tires, trim, glass, etc, etc etc )

If you are tight on $$ the #26 paste wax is fine but most of us really like the S100 for the extra few $$. Its your call.

Since you already have 600 different cleaner waxes ;) I suggest you use them and top them with #26 or S100 for added protection and shine. Make a product list based on the steps above and start filling in your detailing inventory ASAP. Upgrade products only when your basic inventory is full - don`t waste $$ on repetitive products.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

ByndCln
05-04-2003, 10:52 PM
About the price of the S-100. I suggest you call as many local motorcycle dealers in your area. although everyone on here suggests that (which I don`t diiagree with) other dealerships also have it and I`ve noticed in my area the over the counter price is actually lower in those store than the Harley stores.

Also, make sure to look in your Yellow pages at "Paint-Automotive" stores. One in my local area that I called (due to the advice of another Autopian on here) has some great paint prep products.