PDA

View Full Version : windows beading

bcwang
05-03-2003, 12:35 AM
I just noticed this while walking through the parking lot today. Cars which have paint that beads water, also have windshields that bead water. Cars which look like they haven`t been waxed in a while, also have windshields that streak water in sheets. Now I don`t know what the correlation is, but I sure don`t wax my windows, except rain-x on the windshield, but they all bead water like crazy.

Do you guys think that maybe the wax residue from buffing off wax somehow ends up coating the windows, or maybe the towels used for drying waxed paint transfers some wax to the windows when drying?

I just found it amusing to see this correlation.

andrew.
05-03-2003, 03:31 AM
They are most likely washing there cars with a "wash and wax". My neighbor uses this stuff and his glass alway beads like crazy

thevolvoguy
05-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Well, for the most part... at least on newer cars, your glass will bead up when its clean, its a coating the car makers put on for protection and to reduce glare. It shouldnt have anything to do with the soap you use on the car. Things like Rain-X, or Aquapel will do that, and a lot of people have found certain polishes, waxes/sealants that work well on glass.

But I wouldnt say that towels, or soap has anything to do that.

Hope this helps.

2wheelsx2
05-03-2003, 11:20 AM
The correlation is really this:

clean car = beading

dirty car = no beading

It`s been said that beading is not a good indicator of wax. However, the quality of the beads may be though. So in general, a well taken care of car will bead whether it has wax or not.

huggybear
05-03-2003, 11:54 AM
i wax all my windows with s100 except the front windshield which gets aquapel.

Taxlady
05-03-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

The correlation is really this:

clean car = beading

dirty car = no beading

To me, that`s pretty obvious. :D

Mr. Clean
05-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Using Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe and MF towels, the exterior glass on my family`s vehicles seem to bead water quite nicely.

shaf
05-03-2003, 02:23 PM
It could be that if they care for their cars they apply something like Rain-X, which you can get everywhere, to the glass as well as wax.

Also, it may be that the cars are simply clean. A film of dust or dirt on the car will cause a tendency to sheet/cling sometimes.