PDA

View Full Version : Question on tips for a black car

vapore0n
05-02-2003, 07:32 AM
Hi. I have some questions. My cas is a black perl WRX. This paint swirls like crazy very easily, unlike my last car which was white perl. Anyway, Im in the market for a orbital buffer. Do you recomend me using it? Which pads should I get, sheep whool, something other than terycloth? My steps for detailing will be wash(car wash soap), clay(claymagic), 3m scratch remover for dark cars, wax(gold class or #26). Need tips on how to use the buffer for appliying. Ive only done it by hand and buffer for taking out.

I did the clay last wednesday, and it was great for a first time me using it. Started the 3m but the sun came out and it made it hard to take out and the hood came out worse looking, so I stoped (dont have a garage, will borrow one next week)

Any tips for getting a good long lasting shine and protection? My car is a daily driver, so I get the ocational bug/rock chip combo.

Sorry I didnt search too much, im here at work

chris:wavey

imported_kgb
05-02-2003, 07:54 AM
Your best bet is to just search this forum. You will get so many different responses it will drive you crazy. I was using Griot`s Garage products for my car but I just ordered Poorboy EX, P21S polish cleaners and carnuba wax. This is on my black 2001 Civic.

imported_BretFraz
05-02-2003, 10:23 AM
I suggest reading the tips at this link: http://autopia-carcare.com/detailingtips1.html

Print them out if you want to.

Also read the articles posted at the "learn!" pic icon above. All the info from both sources will give you lots to read. You`ll learn a lot from them.

cackleberry
05-02-2003, 12:46 PM
I feel your pain. You should search around the site a bit for tips, but I`ll give you some products I used my first time around with very good results on my MBM WRX (sorry, no pics)

Used ClayMagic clay (fine), then some 3M Swirl Mark Remover, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG (x2) and topped with P21S carnauba. I used a Porter Cable (PC) 7424 with pads from CMA for the SMR and AIO. I also use P21S shampoo.

There is a ton of info on all these products and how to use them, (I chose this route after reading these forums most of the winter) but this is one option that might work well for you.

(This is also not a bad way to start... using multiple layers of AIO and 5 layers of SG won`t really pay off until you get the hang of using the stuff.)

Enjoy and welcome! :wavey

vapore0n
05-02-2003, 03:05 PM
I got convinced for buying the AIO kit. But for now, gold class till I order AIO. But still, what are your opinions on orbital buffer?(the kind sears sells) Will it cause more swirls that I already have? and pads to use?

My white car was a 1987 celebrity, white. My first car. I would shine it every other week. Used mostly Meguiar products, paint was so smooth I couldnt get the car cover on without it sliding off. Scratches could be just taken of with regular wax. Never had heard of clay back then. Until I got to college, then I coudlnt mantain it that much.

2wheelsx2
05-02-2003, 03:19 PM
I don`t think the Sears orbital will cause more swirls. Only if you got dirt trapped on the pad. However, I don`t think it has the power to remove most swirls either. When I do swirl remover, I really lean on the PC 7424. If you did that with most buffers, they would slow down or stop all together. I would say that if you cannot afford a PC, but want one, you`re better off saving for it and doing things by hand in the meantime. Otherwise, you`ll have just wasted your money on a buffer you can`t use.