PDA

View Full Version : I am lost

imported_hntbambi
05-02-2003, 06:00 AM
Hi all. I have been lurking for a little while now and reading the vast amount of information available on this site, but I am lost. It seems every time I research a different product, it apears to be the best thing. I understand there are different levels of shine, different levels of work needed, and different products for different colors of paint.

I have 2 vehicles to detail. The first is a 2002 Jaguar X-Type in Emerald Green that has very good paint that appears to be very flat. The other is a 2003 Dodge Ram that is Flame Red. It has quite a bit of orange peel all around the truck. Short of wet sanding, I don`t think there is much hope for it. I can get a nice gloss, but the orange peel looks like crap.

Which products would you recommend for detailing? I have a rotary and an orbital. I clayed the truck, and I have used Meg #1 cleaner, Meg Pro #7 glaze, and #26 wax. I am leaning towards Blackfire, Klasse, or Zaino. Whats best for my application?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hntbambi2/03Ram2500.jpg

Anthony O.
05-02-2003, 06:47 AM
The reason there are so many suggestions out there is because the field of detailing is subjective.

Many Autopians love the look of the Zaino system while others prefer the warmth and glow of a carnuba finish.

Others seek a longer lasting finish so they use a polymer. Some prefer a high gloss "wet" look on their tires while others prefer a clean black look.

As for the orange peel you can wet sand the finish and polish the paint back. I personally would just polish the paint and then seal it. Live with the orange peel.

For a nice finish, at least to me, you can`t go wrong with AIO and a carnuba topper. Every finish though depends on your initial prep work, it`s all in the prep work.

Anthony

imported_BretFraz
05-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by ejant

That`s the fun of detailing. Trying different products to see how they work. One day you might like it one way then a couple of weeks later you try another product or a combo like BF/S100

Exactly right. That`s why were here! That`s why this forum exists in the first place!!

If it was as simple as, "what`s the best?" there would not be all these products available and certainly not an Autopia.

One important thing you will learn is that a great looking car is more about process and technique than it is about product. A talented detailer can make any car look good with average products. Learn HOW to detail before spending $$$.

BTW, Meg`s #1? Is that their Medium Cut Cleaner? If so I think that`s way to harsh for your needs. If that`s what you`ve got, stop using it.

Accumulator
05-02-2003, 10:48 AM
hntbambi- What the others have said :up ESPECIALLY what Anthony said about living with the Mopar`s orange peel. IMHO, wetsanding is just asking for clearcoat failure.

I AM a little opinionated about what looks best on certain cars, especially Jaguars :o . I generally don`t like Z on non-white British cars (I`m sorta a traditionalist), but it MIGHT accentuate the car`s lines and it would DEFINITELY improve the perceived "flatness". But that`s IF you use a good polish (milder than the #1) first. Yes, I think you can do better than the #1 (and yes, that`s too aggressive for regular use)/#7/#26 combo.

Patrick
05-02-2003, 07:31 PM
I hate to say it, but your going to end up having several products on your shelf. You will find Z-users, Klasse, Clearkoters, Bf`rs....We all like our very own special ingredient, and call it our recipe, for our very own reasons. Come to terms that what someone else likes or recommends, may not be your cup of tea. That doesnt mean it doesnt work, its just not suited for your needs. So go ahead, buy one product, and buy another, and another. Take your time in doing so, or you will be aggrevated. :wall Perform your own little tests, and conclusions. Have fun, you`ll be anal about it before ya empty your first bottle ! :p

imported_hntbambi
05-03-2003, 05:37 AM
Thanks all, I ordered a kit new yesterday. Will see how it does.