PDA

View Full Version : Do you use anything to protect you hands

dmarcus48
05-01-2003, 06:56 PM
I`ve noticed, since I`ve become a complete nut, spent a couple of hundred dollars on supplies and a PC. Have a whole shelving unit full of different waxes, polishes, etc. That my hands get very dry and cracked when detailing. Maybe its old age. :scared Do you guys wear anykind of gloves or other protection?

:sosad

TurboCat
05-01-2003, 07:11 PM
I`ve been thinking about wearing surgical/rubber gloves when doing those marathon sessions where I spend 7 hours on my car. By the time I am through my hands are toast! I would think certain products are probably not that great for skin (SMR, compound, products with Petroleum Distillates, etc.).

I have found that St Ives Collagen Elastin lotion for dry skin works great when my hands are "thirsty".

Maybe if you moisturize your hands before putting on the gloves they will stay nice and soft throughout the whole detailing process!

:)

Spilchy
05-01-2003, 07:47 PM
I never cover my hands with anything except rubber gloves in the winter when I clean my wheels

I use Zep Orange Hand Cleaner when I`m done. It has pumice (sp?) in it. It`s the best stuff out there. Completely cleans hands and leaves your hands extremely soft. My brother who is a painting contractor introduced me to it.

imported_Intel486
05-01-2003, 08:24 PM
I never use any type of glove except when doing an Acid Bath (and a lot of times I don`t even wear them then) and when using my Acid Water Spot remover on windows. That stuff can burn a little.

I`ll also wear ones during the winter when washing. Other than that I don`t wear anything.

tj98cobra
05-02-2003, 06:59 AM
For the best hand care I first dawn wash, Z1, then Z2 with ZFX. ha ha :wavey sorry..it`s been a long week. :)

actually i don`t do anything.

tj

forrest@mothers
05-02-2003, 07:59 AM
I always wear latex examination gloves any time I`m working with products.

My hands are clean when it`s time to drive the car. you can buy boxes of 100 for just a few dollars.

jessispop
05-02-2003, 08:27 AM
I get nitrile gloves from harborfreight, they are inexpensive and offer good protection.

boarderx
05-02-2003, 08:33 AM
I don`t wear any gloves while detailing. My hands do get very dry and even hurt when I make a fist. The only time I do wear rubber gloves is when I do any mechanical work to my car or when I wash the car in the winter.

Accumulator
05-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Well, I DO wear gloves when working on the car (and on lots of other things too). Rubber dishwashing gloves when washing, always. Latex for most everything else, not ALWAYS, and probably not as often as I should..but I don`t let my hands get messed up (cracking, etc.)

My hands get beat up enough as it is, and I really DON`T want some of those chemicals soaking into me. Yeah, I know, I guess I`m getting old. When I was a teenager I never worried about this stuff; cleaned my hands with solvents, sprayed zinc chromate primer without a mask, etc. etc. It`d be a drag if this car hobby killed me.

Scott P
05-02-2003, 11:28 AM
I don`t wear gloves at all when detailing. I like it when my hands smell like vanilla. :D

Afterwards, I wash my hands all nice and clean. I apply moisturizer as soon as I`m done washing them to help seal in the moisture. Of course, they still get

mmeans
05-02-2003, 11:42 AM
If you can find a product called Badger Balm, it works pretty well on keeping your hands in good shape. I have severe cracking on my fingers in the winter, working in water or not. I use the Balm before and after working on my car`s power train so my hands clean up easy and are "fed" after the task. It comes in a flat tin the size of an english muffin, I get it at a local market. It contains olive oil, caster oil, aloe vera and beeswax; it is a thick paste not a lotion.

Michael Means

gocona
05-02-2003, 02:32 PM
I use latex surgical gloves when waxing, polishing, etc. basically anytime i am working with chemicals and they can come in contact with my skin... the only time i don`t wear gloves is when i wash...:xyxthumbs