PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar Product Cutting Power Scale

Pages : [1] 2

jmsc
05-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Can someone familiar with the following 3 Meguiar`s products rank them by their aggressiveness and assign a number corresponding to its cutting power? For example, Meguiar`s assigns a 3 to its #9 SR product. What about the other 2?

SFP (Swirl Free Polish)

#9 Swirl Remover 2.0

DACP (Dual Action Cleaner Polish)

Thanks.

proshine2009
05-01-2003, 06:08 PM
1- SFP = 3

2- SR#9 = 3

3- DACP = 6

All the description that i will give are from the meguiars pro catalog.

DACP - removes light to medium cointamination, blemishes and oxidation that SFP wll not. SAFE : for clearcoat and paint shop

SR #9 - removes fine scratches and swirl marks whils providing a dark shine, deep gloss cleaner/polish. SAFE : for paint shop.

SFP - remove fine scartches and high performance polish elimiates swirl marks fast with cleaning power, resore a glistening "new paint" shine.

SAFE: for paint shop.

shaf
05-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Apparently, #9 and SFP are the same product, so that helps narrow things a bit.

jmsc
05-01-2003, 07:28 PM
Appreciate the info. Looks like DACP is 2X the power and that #9 and SFP seem to be very similar.

Acura_RL
05-01-2003, 09:20 PM
When DACP contains what is known as "diminishing abrasives," does that basically mean that, after using it, you don`t need to follow up with a finer polish such as #9 because the "diminishing abrasives" already handled that function?

godofthunder
05-01-2003, 09:32 PM
#9 - what do you mean safe for paint shop. Is it not ok to apply this by hand to a clear coated car?

jon

imported_Greg
05-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Paint shop safe means it doesn`t contain silicone.

proshine2009
05-01-2003, 09:57 PM
in the catalog they catagorize the #9 as cleaner while the SFP as polish and it`s paintable.

godofthunder

it`s ok to apply by hand but what they mean is that it`s paintable and you can use it in paint shop enviroment with out affecting paint.

EXAMPLE the medallion premium paint cleaner is safe for all paint finish and clear coat but not body shop safe and this is the only cleaner that is not recommend for body shop and reconditiong used car that is average or neglected paint.

hope this help

kal

CharlesW
05-01-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by no1000

EXAMPLE the medallion premium paint cleaner is safe for all paint finish and clear coat but not body shop safe and this is the only cleaner that is not recommend for body shop and reconditiong used car that is average or neglected paint.

Maybe. In the 2002 Professional Line catalog, the Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner was listed as not being body shop safe.

In the 2003 catalog, it is.

Did they learn something or did they make a change to the product?

Also, in the 2003 catalog, both #82 Swirl Free Polish and #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 are in the "Polish" section. #9 is still described as a cleaner/polish and SFP as a polish. Leave it to Meguiar`s to keep everyone guessing.

shaf
05-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Acura_RL

When DACP contains what is known as "diminishing abrasives," does that basically mean that, after using it, you don`t need to follow up with a finer polish such as #9 because the "diminishing abrasives" already handled that function? Sometimes, yes. The abrasives start off big, and then break down into finer ones as you work. They seem to be fairly common and this is the main reason why a lot of products are suggested to be "worked in" for a long time until they start to dry out. Whether DACP will leave the finish fine enough though seems to depend on a number of factors...

Michaelwdes
05-02-2003, 12:32 AM
#80 : 4

didnt do anything to the scratches that i had!!!!! grrrrrr

should went with #82 and attempted by hand like scott......live&learn i guess.

gnahc79
05-14-2003, 12:33 AM
I`ve been searching for the past hour or so about paint cleaners...so is #9 a cleaner like mother`s pre-wax phase 1, but just a tad stronger? If #9 is both a swirl remover and safe cleaner (twice,three times a year?), then that`s great.

cleaner, polish....polish,glaze. If I think anymore about it I will explode :D.

Patrick
05-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Wheres that guy from Meguairs when ya need him ?

One day they will get it together and make Meg`s product labeling comprehensible !!

One reason I dont use there stuff............

CharlesW
05-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Patrick

Wheres that guy from Meguairs when ya need him ?

One day they will get it together and make Meg`s product labeling comprehensible !!

One reason I dont use there stuff............

Seems like he posted that he was going to be tied up for a few days for a seminar, school, something.

Granted Meguiar`s product descriptions can sometimes be confusing but is 3M really any better?

My personal thought is that the product manufacturers have to be pretty careful to not make changes in products or descriptions that will turn off the "old school" users. Lots of people resist new products and technology. Meguiar`s and 3M both seem to keep the traditional products around even though some of the newer products would probably do the same thing, only better.

Charles:nixweiss

Patrick
05-14-2003, 04:56 PM
I just wish there was better clarification on Meg`s part.....