PDA

View Full Version : I saw two buffers at home depot today...

Acura_RL
05-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Neither were PC. One was a Ryobi, and it was probably a 10" (huge pad!). The other was actually a Turtle Wax brand orbital.

I did some searching through here and I can`t seem to grasp anyone`s conclusion on these brands. As a matter of fact, has anyone used one of these two?

I actually found it odd that these were the only orbitals home depot carried. :confused:

milani
05-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Yeah. I checked Home Depot too. They only have Ryobi. It does not have a speed control on it, and it is very big. Probably hard to find pads for. However, Home Depot will special order tools for you. They might be able to get DeWalt or PC, but don`t quote me on that. It may also cost slightly more. The best deal I have heard of here is from coastal tool at http://www.coastaltool.com

Jngrbrdman
05-01-2003, 08:17 PM
Neither of them really have the power to remove swirls anyway. The only thing they would be good at is applying and buffing off liquid wax. I can`t imagine trying to remove swirls with a machine that only has two settings. Off and On. :p

Spilchy
05-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Turtle Wax buffer = poo poo. garbage

Mmmph
05-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Turtle Wax buffer = doody. trash

Acura_RL
05-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Ok, I`ll just pass and get a PC down the road. ;)

CRXSi90
05-01-2003, 10:46 PM
sorry to invade your thread, but I have a question on the same topic too. I saw a 6" polisher at sears that said about 3000 opm. I know this is about half the speed of a PC, but would it be any good for removing swirls? I don`t remember how many amps the motor was, if it even said.

shaf
05-01-2003, 11:20 PM
CRXSi90, here`s a link to some of my recent thoughts on non-PC buffers:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=205814#post205814

Just my opinion, but hope that helps.

Jngrbrdman
05-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by CRXSi90

sorry to invade your thread, but I have a question on the same topic too. I saw a 6" polisher at sears that said about 3000 opm. I know this is about half the speed of a PC, but would it be any good for removing swirls? I don`t remember how many amps the motor was, if it even said.

The problem with that is that you may not want that it should always be going that speed. Sometimes you want it faster and sometimes you want it slower. Unless you can control the speed then I wouldn`t suggest using it for swirls.

Thomasfl
05-02-2003, 12:54 PM
My brother in law picked up that Ryobi last summer for like $30. I checked it out with him. Not much power, but seems to be a little bit of a time saver if you are not in pro detailer shape. He found all kinds of pads at pepboys but you can`t really do much with them, he had wool, terry, and foam. I probably talk him into a PC this year, or just pick one up for him.

Lemonxxs
05-02-2003, 12:59 PM
any orbital is better than no orbital.................

Some orbitals are better than other orbitals.............

Heff
05-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Hey I bought the ryobi last year and it was well worth the $30. I have used it alot on my own as well as other peoples cars. For applying and removing waxes and paint cleaners it works great. Not as well as a PC ,but at one fourth the cost. Bonnets can be found anywhere wal mart, autozone ,Etc. Bottom line, for personal use on wax and paint cleaners it`s perfect if you want to cut and polish, or for heavy use, step up to a PC or rotary,

Heff